Gaming Desktop

I am going to build a desktop to play all games in high settings and no lag. Can anyone help?
28 answers Last reply
More about gaming desktop
  1. Prototype said:
    I am going to build a desktop to play all games in high settings and no lag. Can anyone help?



    What's the budget?
  2. I dont know yet I wanna see first how much it will cost and then i will know my budget
  3. you have to pick a budget, and then people can tell you the best parts to get in that price range.
  4. Can you afford a 8800GTX or two 8800GTS (g92) in SLI on top of everything else?
  5. Well i dont wanna build a desktop that is over 2k im sure of that

    Yes I was planning on getting 8800GTS SLI or 9600GT SLI
  6. Case: Mid or Full Tower? What case material should I pick?
    Hard Drive: Should I buy Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Hard Drive?
    Keyboard: What keyboard should I buy?
    Motherboard: Intel or NVIDIA?
    Mouse: What mouse should I buy?
    Operating System: XP or Vista? 32-bit or 64-bit?
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 / Q6700 / Q9300 / Q9450 (after price drop)
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA (SLI) or ATI Radeon (Crossfire)?
  7. I did some research and this is what im stuck with:
    Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI or 780i SLI
    Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) or 4GB (2x2GB)
    GPUs: 9600GT SLI or 8800GTS SLI or 8800GT SLI
    Processor: Q6700 or Q9450

    I want to score very good in benchmarking. I will be overclocking everything and pushing it to the limit.
  8. Go with the Q9450 instead of the Q6700. It's newer technology as it's based on the 45nm process. I think 4GB (2x2) of ram would be more suitable for the Quad and it also gives you the option to upgrade to 8GB in the future. As for the GPU, I think you'll be better off with the 8800GT in SLI as theres not much difference in price between the 9600GT and the 8800GT.

    Edit: I just read that you'll be overclocking, So in that case, go with the 8800 GTS (G92) SLI. It has better cooling the both other options leaving more headroom for overclocking.

    Maroc.
  9. I will be buying the components after the price drop of the quad processor so wouldnt the Q6700 be better?
  10. Prototype said:
    I will be buying the components after the price drop of the quad processor so wouldnt the Q6700 be better?



    Q6700 is basically the same as an overclocked Q6600. You might as well get a cheaper Q6600, if not Q9450.
  11. Well i think im going with the Q6700 so i can overclock it over 4GHz if i get water cooling and the Q9450 has low multiplier.
  12. Prototype said:
    Well i think im going with the Q6700 so i can overclock it over 4GHz if i get water cooling and the Q9450 has low multiplier.



    I've pushed Q6600 to 4ghz before, on air, 70/70/68/68 temp. :p

    Q9450 has low multiplier, but it's fine if you use good motherboard chipset so fsb won't be the bottleneck.
  13. Yeah but then I need to get a MoBo that has DDR3 so i will be wasting more money and i need to save as much money as i can
  14. Prototype said:
    Yeah but then I need to get a MoBo that has DDR3 so i will be wasting more money and i need to save as much money as i can



    There are lots of x38 chipset motherboards that use DDR2. I use one of them, and it cost $207 at the time of purchase, which is high, but not unaffordable. :p
  15. Prototype said:
    I am going to build a desktop to play all games in high settings and no lag. Can anyone help?


    I take it you won't be playing Crysis under Vista? :lol: :kaola:
  16. Avenger_K said:
    I take it you won't be playing Crysis under Vista? :lol: :kaola:



    Actually, Crysis on high resolution and settings isn't as unattainable as it used to be. I ran it at high(but not highest) settings at 40-50fps.
  17. dagger said:
    Actually, Crysis on high resolution and settings isn't as unattainable as it used to be. I ran it at high(but not highest) settings at 40-50fps.


    True, but you have, shall we say a bit higher end of a system than most :sol: . I was referring to very high (DX10) settings under Vista, which is still impossible for almost every setup (excluding Tri-SLI 8800 GTXs or quad SLI 9800GX2s).

    But yes, Crysis is not quite as much of a beast as it appeared to be when it first came out. :pt1cable:
  18. Should I get:
    Newegg.com - XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
    or
    Newegg.com - MSI P7N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

    I still don't know if i should go with 8800GT SLI, 9600GT SLI, 8800GTS SLI
    (lowest price after mail and rebate)
    8800GT $160
    9600GT $130
    8800GTS $200
  19. the MSI 750i will not be true SLi.
  20. The 750i FTW will.
  21. Why? Isnt the 750i the same as 780i but without the 3-SLI and less tweaking for overclocking.
  22. Nope, unless you're talking about the 750i FTW...
  23. Prototype said:
    Why? Isnt the 750i the same as 780i but without the 3-SLI and less tweaking for overclocking.



    780i's "tweaking for overclocking" is not just bios features, but actual higher preformance chipset that runs stable at higher fsb. It's not just window dressing, the hardware is better. It also have much less memory compatibility problems that eariler Nvidia chipsets suffer.
  24. So I should buy the XFX 780i?

    Quote:
    It also have much less memory compatibility problems that eariler Nvidia chipsets suffer.


    what?
  25. Prototype said:
    So I should buy the XFX 780i?



    what?


    Just google it, earlier Nvidia chipsets, especially 650i and 680i, are known as "memory killers." :na:

    And yes, 780i is the best choice if you want sli. 790i is better, but they charge sky price for it right now.
  26. is the 780i a memory killer cz i dont see it?
  27. Prototype said:
    is the 780i a memory killer cz i dont see it?



    It's not, that's the point. :p
  28. if you don't want to pay for the 780i, you can get the eVGA 750i SLi FTW board. It has true SLi performance (x16 for both cards).
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Desktops Games Systems Product