Gigabyte x38-ds4 and PCIe 2.0

sooey

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Hi guys! Just need a little assistance on something regarding these motherboards. I'm currently building a new system and decided to get something decent. My current issue is that I am planning on getting the gigabyte 215 8800GT graphics card for my system. This card supports PCIe 2.0 and it required a motherboard that can support this to fully maximise it's uses.

Went into a computer shop today and they told me that the x38 motherboards do not fully support PCIe 2.0 and I would not be able to maximise the use of my card should I get it. Instead, I would be required to get one of the newer x48 chipset motherboards (eg x48-DQ6 motherboards )instead. Is this true?? or will the x38-ds4 fully support the 8800GT PCIe 2.0 graphics card i'll be using. Any feedback on clearing this issue up would be much appreciated. And any test results would be even better! Thanks!

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
It was best buy wasn't it?

It is the opposite. The GPU doesn't fully utilize PCIe 2.0 It is a pretty black and white subject here. A mobo either supports PCIe 2.0 or it doesn't. There is no "partial" PCI support.

If you are getting a gigabyte board and haven't looked yet, check out their comparison page, it is pretty helpful. It will help you determine the differences between their boards.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_ComparisonSheet.aspx

TRENDING THREADS