Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, good choice?

bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I'm thinking about ordering the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835207004
I am choosing this product because it is pretty cheap, with free shipping, and also includes some thermal compound. If there is another product that can compete with this price (or slightly over it) including thermal compound and shipping, I'm open to suggestions.

It will replace my stock intel heatsink on my E8400 3ghz. I'm thinking about just doing a quick OC to 3.6ghz and seeing if I'm brave enough to move up from there.

Anyway, I have never done this before. Does this Sunbeam product look good? The newegg page seems to have pretty positive reviews. I saw a few people there with the same motherboard (ASUS p5q pro) so it looks like it will fit okay. I'm pretty sure my case has enough room height wise, but I'm not sure how wide this heatsink is. I can't seem to find any dimensions of it.

Another question that I have is how exactly is this particular heatsink mounted to the motherboard?
The pictures show some screws and a bracket, but I don't understand where on the heatsink these will be connected. I also assume that I will need to take out the motherboard from the case to do this?

Asus p5q pro
Core 2 duo E8400
2 * 2gb G. Skill PI Black

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
It looks decent, but a model such as the Xigmatek Rifle cooler, or the CM Hyper TX2 are both cheaper and proven to work, I would take a look at those two.

The Hyper TX2 is holding my E8400@3.8 around 50C, max of 53C.

G

Core Contact Freezer is currently the BEST air cooler out there especially for dual cores

I'm surprised its on newegg, I got mine else where but its keeping my q9550 @ 3.85 ghz nice and cool (comparatively)

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
i have heard good and bad about that cooler

The good: it is a great cooler, keeps everything very nice and cool, and is currently rated at the number 1 spot on frostytech.com

The bad: hard as hell to install. It seems differ on who is reviewing it but most of the time it seems that installing it and getting everything clipped down properly is an real pain in the ass

If you want to deal with the hard install then by all means go for it, it should keep everything nice and cool

If you want a cooler that performs almost as well as that, and is much easier to install go for the xigmatech s1283 and the retention bracket
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&Tpk=s1283
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019

G

I got it installed no problem...

that is after i shaved part of my asus mobo heatsink off :)

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have the sunbeam ccc. I have it on a e7200 at 3.8Ghz. cpu 20c idle, 49 load. both cores 44c, 61c load. Load was prime95 after 12 hours. Playing cod4 and cod5 for hours, 4x AA mas settings, cores never exceed 57c. Hours of Crysis Wars on good visuals 4x AA never exceeds 47c.

I love teh sb ccc. easy to install. youll need the room. I have an antec 1200 and a gigabyte ga-ex38-ds4. So i had no issues with room or interference.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007

I have not read any of those reviews. The SB CCC could not be any easier to install. No screws.

place bracket in holes, push in 4 push pins, clip one side, press the other side down and clip. plug in.

done.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well its like people saying the pushpins are hard to install... i didnt even bother reading the instructions and got them in first time.

although i did get the bracket for my s1283 :lol: