Compaq Presario 5WV254 front panel

krislo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
How to remove the front panel on a compaq presario 5WV254, to install a cdrw Took off side panel, pushed the 3 side clips, like you would a normal pc but something is locking or holding it from opening. I searched the internet, for a diagram posted same problem to numerous help sites, but to no avail.

BS_Shane

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011

What we found:::

Turns out the Compaq Presario 5WV254 (all 5000s?):

- Has a narrow, decorative plastic bezel just inside the front outer section of the case. That bezel surrounds: two 5.25" slots, two 3.5" slots, USB ports & the power button.

- Just below that bezel is a drop-down panel to store Windows CDs. By opening that panel, I could tug on the bezel (two plastic side tabs near bottom help hold it in!), then tilt it up and out.

- Removing the bezel revealed 2 plastic tabs holding in each of the 2 CD GUIDES! Pressing those tabs let each slide out!

- The "metal plate" I originally found under the 5.25" plastic cover was actually part of a metal box -- that NO CD/CD-RW could fit into! Fortunately, the 2 CD GUIDES attached to box popped right off. I tossed the box!

- The GUIDES snap into the sides of CDs/CD-RWs, then it all slides in & clicks in place! (Note: No screws! The Guides have little pins that *press into* a CD's screw holes. It's just press & slide!)