Sign in with
Your question

Reset port error on boot up?

Last response: in Storage
June 11, 2009 3:08:05 PM

I am using the Mediasonic HFR2-S3B Pro RAID Box via esata connected to my intel ICH9R esata port.

On bootup I get the message "reset port error" followed by the bios reporting that the connected drive is a 748GB drive.

After bootup, Vista 64 has no problems with the device and correctly identifies it with 2.72TB of disk space.

I haven't had any problems so far, but should I be worried? and other then waiting for my manufacturer to issue another bios update, is there anything I can do to fix this?

More about : reset port error boot

June 16, 2009 4:54:55 AM

What is your motherboard? It's possible that your BIOS can't properly identify your RAID box, as it represents too much storage space for it to manage properly.
June 16, 2009 5:20:49 AM

TonCharr28 said:
What is your motherboard? It's possible that your BIOS can't properly identify your RAID box, as it represents too much storage space for it to manage properly.

yes exactly and unfortunately I'm on the latest bios already. I am on a shuttle sp35p2 with the ich9r chipset.

The current bios reports that the raid box has 748GB of drive space after the reset port error, however once I'm booted up, Vista 64 sees the total size as 2.62TB and seems to operate normally.

Thankfully with the intel matrix storage console 8.8, I no longer get BSOD. However when I was on version 7.5, I would get the BSOD whenever I unplug or plug in a new esata device, which caused the raid box to beome dirty requiring an automatic chkdsk on vista bootup. Chkdsk caused a massive mess of link corrections (because it thought the raid box had only 748GB of disk space) of which I lost all the data the first time I set this up.

Currently it seems to be working fine, but I am worried that I might get a chkdsk on bootup one day.

I was hoping that there might be a possible solution other then waiting for a bios update that might never come.
!