Motherboard damaged? Asus Striker II Extreme

Kossu

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Hello,

About 4 weeks ago I put this computer together and it worked flawlessly. However about 1 week ago it started freezing up. I'm unable to move my mouse, and the graphics get frozen. This happens normally during gaming, however it has happened several times during high disk usage on the desktop.

I've used Prime95 to test the CPU which ran a couple of hours without any problems or errors, I've tested the RAM as well with Prime95 and memtest86 both without any problems or errors. I also removed the graphic cards (got 2 identical ones) and ran them individually and the freezing still occured. I also tried running the ram chips individually, no luck.

I started suspecting hdd problems as the hdd activity light was lit when it froze. So I got a new 320 gb SATA hdd and put windows xp on it, disconnected the sata drives (their in raid 0). And after a bit it froze. Even with a totally fresh operating system.

One other thing worth mentioning. Once when it crashed i hit the reset button and the computer shut down. I then hit the start button and it started for 2 seconds then shut down automatically again.

I don't think its a heat problem The CPU is 30c and the NB and SB is around 60.

What is wrong, any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hardware Info:
[Motherboard Specification]
Striker II Extreme
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 402

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : Asus
*VGA Card Model : 8800GTS 512mb
*VGA Card Driver : Forceware 175.16

[CPU Specification]
Intel Q9450 2.66 ghz