May 12, 2008
Hi, just built a new machine ---- heres the specs

intel 8400
evga 780i
corsair dom 4gb pc2-8500 c5
8800 gtx
wd raptor X
vista ult. 64 sp1

My concern is that when I'm at post or in bios it states that my 8400 is clocked at 2.3ghz w/ a multi of 7.
Again, CPU-Z states 2.0ghz(ish) w/ a multi of 6! I just booted it for the first time and I get this, am I missing something here? what gives?

thanks in advance

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
My guess is Speedstep. What it does is when your CPU is not under load it drops the multiplier and the the voltage to conserve power. Try opening a few apps to see if your multiplier goes back to normal.

Its not "under clocked" as such.

When you are not running it hard it will do that to save power and heat.

If you want to see it jump to full speed just load it up with games and other stuff running. hell even winamps avs will make it jump.

No worries...its a Q6600 but the multi and fsb are the same in this case. Idle was with just winamp and the net, load is folding at home.
speedstepel6.gif

Blue_Scholar

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
My Bios says speedstep is disabled and I ran Half Life 2 and Nvidia Cascades demo both on a cpu intensive resolution plus some random youtube video, steam and a couple of open pages of internet and I get no more than 2.333 ghz (333.3mhz x 7 multi) which is the exact specifications my bios is telling.

randomizer

Champion
C1E is doing it to you then, which isn't a problem, since under load it goes to a 7x multi which is what you want anyway if that's what your BIOS says it's at. EIST is crap, C1E is great. Now try setting it to 9x in the BIOS, and if it doesn't work, update the BIOS.