Sign in with
Your question

New PC not connecting to existing network.

Last response: in Networking
November 16, 2008 2:07:01 AM

I just completed my first DIY PC Build. No issues! Almost.

I have an already existing network consisting of a Linksys Cable Modem and Linksys Wireless Router (802.11G)

When connecting my new build to the router or cable modem my new PC does not recognize that I am coneected in anyway.

Do I need to install the program CD's for the Cable Modem and Router that Linksys provided? I am guessing yes but I just want confirmation.
November 16, 2008 3:57:33 AM

I got myself into a similar problem once. Even worse, I had it working and then re-installed Windows and it quit! What I failed to realize was that I needed to install the device drivers for the mobo - they all came on a CD with the mobo. Among other devices without drivers were the on-board network port drivers. Have you installed your mobo's drivers from its disk? Do this before trying to install software that came with the modem and router.
November 16, 2008 4:05:24 AM

I tried to but after the first Rebbot of 3 required the PC loaded up to the DOS screen and gave me three options to choose from a, b or c. A and B were to create a 32bit or 64 bit floppy disk. C was to skip and go to the "C:" DOS screen. I don't have a floppy drive on my new machine. I didn't think I would ever need one. And I didn't know how to get from MSDOS Command back into windows to continue the process. If that's even possible. So I just restarted the PC, "Deleted" into the BIOS and reset back to factory settings so that whatever was installed from the disk prior to reboot 1 was turned off so I could get back up and running. I figured the Mobo Support DVD was optional. If it isn't then I better get over the Mobo forum for help.

I have not installed any device drivers for the Mobo.

Thanks.

If anyone else has a comment feel free to give me any insight.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 16, 2008 10:26:37 AM

You need to install the Device Drivers from Windows, not boot from the CD.

Grumpy
November 16, 2008 1:31:54 PM

How do I install Device Drivers if I cannot connect to the Internet?
Anonymous
November 16, 2008 2:39:08 PM

Insert the Mobo Drivers CD into the drive.

Grumpy
November 16, 2008 4:24:08 PM

Thanks Grumpy9117, It's up and running perfectly now.
!