New PC not connecting to existing network.

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I just completed my first DIY PC Build. No issues! Almost.

I have an already existing network consisting of a Linksys Cable Modem and Linksys Wireless Router (802.11G)

When connecting my new build to the router or cable modem my new PC does not recognize that I am coneected in anyway.

Do I need to install the program CD's for the Cable Modem and Router that Linksys provided? I am guessing yes but I just want confirmation.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I got myself into a similar problem once. Even worse, I had it working and then re-installed Windows and it quit! What I failed to realize was that I needed to install the device drivers for the mobo - they all came on a CD with the mobo. Among other devices without drivers were the on-board network port drivers. Have you installed your mobo's drivers from its disk? Do this before trying to install software that came with the modem and router.

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I tried to but after the first Rebbot of 3 required the PC loaded up to the DOS screen and gave me three options to choose from a, b or c. A and B were to create a 32bit or 64 bit floppy disk. C was to skip and go to the "C:" DOS screen. I don't have a floppy drive on my new machine. I didn't think I would ever need one. And I didn't know how to get from MSDOS Command back into windows to continue the process. If that's even possible. So I just restarted the PC, "Deleted" into the BIOS and reset back to factory settings so that whatever was installed from the disk prior to reboot 1 was turned off so I could get back up and running. I figured the Mobo Support DVD was optional. If it isn't then I better get over the Mobo forum for help.

I have not installed any device drivers for the Mobo.

Thanks.

If anyone else has a comment feel free to give me any insight.

G

You need to install the Device Drivers from Windows, not boot from the CD.

Grumpy