thunderstorm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
Hey everyone!

I've had a homebuilt system up and running for well over a year now without a problem. A couple of days ago, after a proper shutdown via Windows, the system refused to show video or any sign of a POST. I managed to fix it once just by turning off the PSU for a bit, but it seems that was just a bit of luck.

I get no video, no beeps and after about 1 minute, the CPU fan shuts off(Which I believe was a normal side effect whenever my computer failed POST after a power outtage). So, I think it has to do with the motherboard and can't be sure, and of course -- this happened on Friday night, right after ASUS Tech left.

I've tried stripping it down to the mobo, disconnecting all peripherals and rebuilding, but no luck. I cleared the CMOS(I think?) and still no signs of video. I don't have another processor, video card or computer outside of my laptop to test parts, so thats out of the question.

Hope you guys can help me out, I'd really hate to have to buy a completely new rig :-/

Thanks so much!

{TS}

ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Model TWIN2X2048-6400
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX
ASUS ATAPI/E-IDE DVD-ROM
Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD 250GB 7200 RPM SATA
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA
Hitachi 5400RPM 80GB HDD
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX
XION PowerReal XON-600F14T-201 ATX12V 600W Power Supply
ASUS Vento 3600 Mid ATX

thunderstorm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
I forgot to add:

I have a 2nd BIOS chip that I could try (I had to order replacements from ASUS after a bad flash with their utility), but I doubt very much that it would fix anything. I'll try that while I wait for a response.

Also, I have not added/changed/removed any hardware, and it seems that the red LED that usually monitors hard drive activity remains lit the entire time, accompanied with no response out of my DVD drive.

Thanks again!
{TS}

akhilles

Splendid
Well, that's a first. ASUS EZ bios flash is built in the board & never caused a bad flash for me. In case the bios is corrupt, you can insert the mobo cd to auto-flash the bios to default.

Ok, is your symptom like this: power on pc, no post, every led light comes on as they would, still no post? It might have to do with the bios. I got around this by switching psu off for 1 min. Worked every time. I have since given up on the ASUS mobo. This Abit has the same chipset, but doesn't have the same symptom. It seemed that I wasn't alone after googling around.

Or it might have to do with the bios flash that defaults the settings in bios. Or it got stuck trying to load old/incompatible settings. Generally, you clear cmos, load default, then flash bios, clear cmos & load default again. Most people don't care & won't do this.

thunderstorm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
Yeah, the ASUS tech actually told me there was a 13% chance to corrupt your chip when flashing (Don't know where he got that stat or if it's even true). I don't think it has to do with the BIOS though, I tried the backup chip I had and still no luck. Someone gave me the idea that the board might be shorting on the case, but I did the box test and it didn't get me any further to figuring out the problem than I already was.

I guess I'll have to save up some money for a new board, but feel free to throw some other suggestions at me Q.Q

My first impression is that your PSU has some issues. Is there any chance you can borrow a friends PSU to test out your system? XION is a Tier 5 PSU and isn't built too well. See my signature for the PSU Tier's link. I don't think that your BIOS went bad during a shutdown, so that is why I'm leaning towards the PSU.

thunderstorm

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2008
I'll probably have to buy a new PSU to figure out if thats the problem. I just moved to the West Coast so I don't really know too many people out here, let alone PC enthusiats with one that can power my GTX(Although I noticed the GTX link in your sig, but I suppose I could try another card as well if I can get ahold of one).

I don't understand much of the terminology behind components "dying", but would this be considered a 'dead' PSU although it still powers up?

I'll see what I can do to get ahold of another one, or if I can get to a nearby shop to have it tested. Is it possible that I'm underpowering my machine, even though it worked flawlessly for over a year?

Thanks so much for the help!

{TS}

I'm not sure what your warranty on your PSU is, but if it's still under warranty, I'd have it RMA'd, assuming you get it checked out. You could even power up your system with the 380w Antec PSU in my signature and see if that works or not. I'd probably get a Corsair 450vx at the minimum, but that is up to you. It'll probably be cheaper to replace the PSU (unless you get it checked out for free) than to have it fixed (assuming it's bad). If you have about $50 or so you could get the Antec 430w PSU or the Corsair vx450w PSU as a minimum. You could order it from buy.com/newegg.com, because they are both in California and you would'nt have to wait too long. Or if your lucky you could get one locally. I'm just suggesting that you either get the PSU checked out or buy a new one and return it if it doesn't work. You could also double check your warranty and see if it can be replaced/repaired. I personally do whatever makes the most sense for you. I'd just put the $ down and get a quality PSU now and then you'll have a good one to fall back on, if you end up finding out its something else.