First Ever Home Build Problem PLEASE Help!

I just completed my first home build and have a problem I have been unable to solve.

My Build:
ABIT IP35 PRO Mobo
Core 2 Duo E6550 Processor
Geforce 8400GS GPU
2 DDR2 800 1GB Corsair RAM Sticks
WD 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
ePOWER 550 Watt PSU
Windows XP SP2

Went together easy enough and lit right away.

My Problem:
I installed RollerCoaster Tycoon3 (My Kids and I love this game). We can play the game for about 15 or 20 minutes and then everything locks up, after a few minutes it returns with the HD Audio Manager screen up, it doesn't display an error message it acts as if it wants me to change the settings or something.
Mobo has7:1 Surround sound capabilities but I simply use two Desk top speakers.

Any Ideas as to why this keeps occuring?
I'm really at a loss here is it hardware or a configuration problem?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
24 answers Last reply
More about first home build problem help
  1. 1. Install latest drivers for vid card and sound.

2. Check for updates on the game itself.

3. Games crashing after a period of time often indicates an overheating problem. Are you sure you got the heatsink seated perfectly flush against the CPU? check your CPU temps under load and report them to us if you can.
  2. How do I check CPU Temps while the system is up?

I know how to find it in BIOS but that doesn't help here.
  3. yzerwing said:
    How do I check CPU Temps while the system is up?

I know how to find it in BIOS but that doesn't help here.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
    Stress test with prime95 for stability:
    http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
  4. If you can run prime 95 (from dagger's link above) for an extended period without generating errors then heat becomes less likely. It would also be good to know if the PC can run other 3d games for long periods.

Are you using the stock Intel heatsink? If so are you sure all 4 pins snapped down and locked? Sometimes they pop back out if they are not turned into locking position. Anything less than perfect contact between heatsink and cpu will cause overheating.

Your problem could be a number of different things but I'd rule overheating out first.
  5. It doesn't seem to crash the whole system just the games. Windows is still running fine and the REaltek HD Audio manager is open.

I have found alot of forums about problems with Realtek HD Audio.

Im not sure I understand the Prime 95 program. I guess I should have said Im a newbie.
  6. You could try disabling the sound card in the BIOS and playing the game without sound. If it still crashes then sound is not the problem.

Here is a direct link to prime 95. Just install it and run it. http://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v2414.exe
    Choose stress test only then test , prime net to get it started.
    It will report errors if any arise. It pushes CPU to 100% utilization. If no errors come up after half an hour or so then overheating is less likely.
  7. Speedfan will give temps, and fan speeds careful with some of the more advanced features though
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
  8. Umm I think I found the problem but not sure what I can do about it.

I have a PCIe compatable PSU but the plugs it has for PCI Express are different than the one that is on My motherboard.
    The Mobo has what looks like a regular power connector for an optical drive or something like that but the plug from the PSU is a square socket with 4 or 6 pins (either 2 rows of two or 2 rows of three).

Is this what I need to plug into the motherboard or are those plugs made for High end GPUs that need dedicated power?
    If I do need to plug said plugs in to Mobo is there an adaptor of some sort so I can change to the correct plug?
  9. yzerwing said:
    Umm I think I found the problem but not sure what I can do about it.

I have a PCIe compatable PSU but the plugs it has for PCI Express are different than the one that is on My motherboard.
    The Mobo has what looks like a regular power connector for an optical drive or something like that but the plug from the PSU is a square socket with 4 or 6 pins (either 2 rows of two or 2 rows of three).

Is this what I need to plug into the motherboard or are those plugs made for High end GPUs that need dedicated power?
    If I do need to plug said plugs in to Mobo is there an adaptor of some sort so I can change to the correct plug?

PCIE power connectors are to be plugged into the graphics card itself, you don't plug it into the motherboard.
  10. yzerwing I would have to agree with dagger PCIE power connectors are to be plugged into the graphics card itself, you don't plug it into the motherboard. your video card those not require a pci-e connector.and I'm hopeing you didn't plug the psu pci-e cable up to you 4 pin cpu 12 volt psu connector on you mobo.thats a no no!.and I don't think the 6 pin pci-e is keyed the same as 4 pin 12 volt cpu conntector on mobo.
  11. The specific PCIe plugs wouldn't even fit into the Mobo socket. Only a standard 4 pin plug like for a CD-Rom Drive and such. I tried one these 4 pin plugs and it made no difference it neither solved nor created any problems. Not sure what to try next as I already got a second opinion on the Cooling assembly and its on all the way.

Any other Ideas?
  12. Errr....... Should I leave the 4 pin plug in the Mobo Scoket or not?
  13. i have the abit ip35 pro mobo and just built a new system with it. i actually had the exact same problem as you but it got rid of it right away. i noticed that occasionally the realtek audio would just pop up out of nowhere as you described. the solution was to install the latest audio driver, hopefully this is all it takes for you too:
    http://forums.hexus.net/abit-care-hexus/117966-official-abit-ip-35-pro-review-overclock-guide-thread.html

go down to drivers and download the audio driver for your os
  14. since nothing is crashing i think you built it succesfully. when i connected the mobo to the psu i connected the main power connector (obviously) the cpu power connector and a pci-e connector to my gpu (8800 gts which needs a 6 pin)
    the cpu power connector is 8 pin on the mobo but if your psu only has a 4 pin that is fine. this has to be connected
    additionally you can add a standard 4 pin connector (not the same as the cpu connector) down by the pci slots. i am guessing this is what you are talking about and there is no harm in adding it if your gpu doesnt have a seperate power connection.
    all of this is described on page 1-6 of the manual

but i think you built it succesfully the first time if your only problem is with the sound device interrupting your game.
  15. Is the R190 Driver on this link good for Windows SP 32 Bit or just 64 bit? I have the 32 Bit.

Sorry but I warned you I am a newbie! ;)
  16. OK I tried the R190 Driver that Ogab0ga linked even though it said 64 bit(thanks for your suggestion). No change. Im beginning to think I never should have done a build. I can't think of anything else it could be.

SGC (slowly going crazy)
  17. Have you tried to disable your onboard sound in the BIOS area?
  18. I just build my new rig with that mobo. Initially, I forgot to plug in the 4-pin molex on the mobo. I got no errors or problems, but I did go back and plug it in anyway. It is for supplying additional PCIE power; your 8400GS has such low requirements that it probably wouldn't matter for you either (I've got an Asus EAH3850).
    I've not had any sound issues, and I've already played Guild Wars for hours on it.
    I would suspect an audio driver problem though. If you're using the front panel audio, you may need to turn the auto-detect off in the Realtek application.
  19. when you installed the drivers did you check off repair? cause you shouldnt. when i installed there wre two options but you shouldnt check off either. just click next. if you check either of the options i think it only reinstalls the old driver.
    but if updating the audio driver doesnt work i am not sure what is wrong.
    does the game shut down or is it just minimized?
    can you play other audio?
    are your speakers plugged in the i/o on the mobo or the extensions in the case?
  20. Sounds fine on Windows Media Player. I plug into the audio jports on the rear I/O panel of the motherboard.

I didn't see any options for the driver installations just clicked the installer once the folder was unzipped and let it do what it does.

I used PC Pitstops Driver alert and it didn't find any Realtek Audio Drivers I needed but I don't know how good that is.
  21. since your audio works fine with everything else but rollercoaster tycoon 3 there is probably something wrong with the game. have you tried playing other games? if not, then do so and see what happens. if everything works fine then you can be pretty sure your mobo and driver is working correctly.
  22. Yes, other games do the same thing.
  23. yzerwing said:
    Yes, other games do the same thing.

try uninstalling the sound driver completely. then run the game. is the game updated with the latest patch?
  24. i would reinstall the sound drivers then make sure all the sound opinions are set properly make sure the windows sound doesn't think one thing and the realtek another otherwise the realtek may be trying to change to the windows
    settings

also you said you could run windows media player fine but not games which makes me think that maybe an in game audio setting is set to 7.1 or 5.1 and the realtek is just changing to catch it.

this definately doesn't sound like an error more just a setting problem maybe even go into the realtek sound and try finding something that lets you set it to all defaults

hope this helps
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems