Tribes 2: mining the flag area

I would like to hear about any experienced strategies and
counterstrategies for mining the flag area, also for protecting the
flag area any way you do.

I've noticed some people drop what looks like a satchel charge near
the mine. Some enjoy standing on the flag. But the flag taker is in
and out so quickly, they don't even have a chance to blink.

I picked up kills quickly by mining the flag area, especially when
there was a roof over the flag which forced the flag taker to come in
low.

--
I don't need to know whether it is a good idea, or a bad idea.
11 answers Last reply

    "John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to hear about any experienced strategies and
    > counterstrategies for mining the flag area, also for protecting the
    > flag area any way you do.
    >
    > I've noticed some people drop what looks like a satchel charge near
    > the mine. Some enjoy standing on the flag. But the flag taker is in
    > and out so quickly, they don't even have a chance to blink.
    >
    > I picked up kills quickly by mining the flag area, especially when
    > there was a roof over the flag which forced the flag taker to come in
    > low.

    Get a satchel charge, go out of bounds, set it down, sit on it, and blow
    your stupid ass up.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:05:12 -0600, Quixote wrote:

    > Get a satchel charge, go out of bounds, set it down, sit on it, and blow
    > your stupid ass up.

    It's amusing to see the fool thinking that T2 is all about kills.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:12:12 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:05:12 -0600, Quixote wrote:
    >
    >> Get a satchel charge, go out of bounds, set it down, sit on it, and blow
    >> your stupid ass up.
    >
    >It's amusing to see the fool thinking that T2 is all about kills.

    Well, of course! God forbid there should be some other standard of
    scoring! Say, like, I dunno... Capping, or even repairing a busted
    generator.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:05:12 -0600, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
    wrote:

    >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
    >>I would like to hear about any experienced strategies and
    >> counterstrategies for mining the flag area, also for protecting the
    >> flag area any way you do.
    >>
    >> I've noticed some people drop what looks like a satchel charge near
    >> the mine. Some enjoy standing on the flag. But the flag taker is in
    >> and out so quickly, they don't even have a chance to blink.
    >>
    >> I picked up kills quickly by mining the flag area, especially when
    >> there was a roof over the flag which forced the flag taker to come in
    >> low.
    >
    >Get a satchel charge, go out of bounds, set it down, sit on it, and blow
    >your stupid ass up.

    I've tried that, Quix... it doesn't really rack up kill points.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Troll.

    "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote:

    >From: "Quixote" <quixote writeme.com>
    >Newsgroups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes
    >Subject: Re: Tribes 2: mining the flag area
    >Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:05:12 -0600
    >

    >"John Doe" <jdoe@usenet.is.the.real.thing.com> wrote in message
    >> I would like to hear about any experienced strategies and
    >> counterstrategies for mining the flag area, also for protecting the
    >> flag area any way you do.
    >>
    >> I've noticed some people drop what looks like a satchel charge near
    >> the mine. Some enjoy standing on the flag. But the flag taker is in
    >> and out so quickly, they don't even have a chance to blink.
    >>
    >> I picked up kills quickly by mining the flag area, especially when
    >> there was a roof over the flag which forced the flag taker to come in
    >> low.
    >
    >Get a satchel charge, go out of bounds, set it down, sit on it, and blow
    >your stupid ass up.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > Troll.

    Just answering your post in the same manner you recently did to another
    regular here, you top posting ass.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    X-No-Archive troll.

    Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Path: newssvr12.news.prodigy.com!newsdbm05.news.prodigy.com!newsdst02.news.prodigy.com!newsmst01a.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.net!newshosting.com!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!news-spur1.maxwell.syr.edu!news.maxwell.syr.edu!newsfeed.icl.net!newsfeed.fjserv.net!news.tele.dk!news.tele.dk!small.news.tele.dk!lnewsoutpeer01.lnd.ops.eu.uu.net!lnewsinpeer00.lnd.ops.eu.uu.net!lnewspost00.lnd.ops.eu.uu.net!emea.uu.net!not-for-mail
    >Newsgroups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes
    >From: Mr K <duffstuff hotmail.com>
    >Subject: Re: Tribes 2: mining the flag area
    >Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:12:12 +0000
    >
    >On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:05:12 -0600, Quixote wrote:
    >
    >> Get a satchel charge, go out of bounds, set it down, sit on it, and blow
    >> your stupid ass up.
    >
    >It's amusing to see the fool thinking that T2 is all about kills.
    >
    >--
    >"There's violence to be done."
    >R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    John Doe wrote:
    > I would like to hear about any experienced strategies and
    > counterstrategies for mining the flag area, also for protecting the
    > flag area any way you do.
    >
    > I've noticed some people drop what looks like a satchel charge near
    > the mine. Some enjoy standing on the flag. But the flag taker is in
    > and out so quickly, they don't even have a chance to blink.

    Satchelling the flag is only good on some maps, like the one with the
    flag in the middle of the lake. Either they're popping up out of the
    water (where your team's turret farm should be), so they'll be slow, or
    they'll be zooming in from over the water, making the timing rather
    simple, and almost cheaterly.

    > I picked up kills quickly by mining the flag area, especially when
    > there was a roof over the flag which forced the flag taker to come in
    > low.

    The important question, of course, is did you save your team's flag with
    that?

    Mining the flag is just something one does. It won't stop an experienced
    player, but at least you're going to have warning of a flagcapper
    approaching at speed when the mine blows up. Then, 0.2 seconds later,
    you're ready to start the chase.

    obOtherGroup: OMGWTFBBQ, I made an on-topic post!
    --
    Frank
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

    >> I picked up kills quickly by mining the flag area, especially
    >> when there was a roof over the flag which forced the flag taker
    >> to come in low.
    >
    >The important question, of course, is did you save your team's flag
    >with that?

    Surprisingly, sometimes yes.

    >Mining the flag is just something one does. It won't stop an
    >experienced player,

    That's why I asked. I want tips about what sort of adjustments they
    probably will be making.

    As I recall, one might be to bomb the flag area immediately before
    picking up the flag.

    Thank you.

    but at least you're going to have warning of a flagcapper
    >approaching at speed when the mine blows up. Then, 0.2 seconds
    >later, you're ready to start the chase.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:29:48 +0100, Frank van Schie
    <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

    >Satchelling the flag is only good on some maps, like the one with the
    >flag in the middle of the lake. Either they're popping up out of the
    >water (where your team's turret farm should be), so they'll be slow, or
    >they'll be zooming in from over the water, making the timing rather
    >simple, and almost cheaterly.

    On that map I like to stick a targetting beacon on the bottom side of
    the flag stand, then stand up on the hillside by the base with a
    grenade launcher.

    It usually will kill the capper if he's banged up from the trip
    overland. If not, a lot of times it'll knock him off course and make
    him weak enough for the inevitable hail of chaingun fire to
    hamburgerize him in short order.

    >Mining the flag is just something one does. It won't stop an experienced
    >player, but at least you're going to have warning of a flagcapper
    >approaching at speed when the mine blows up. Then, 0.2 seconds later,
    >you're ready to start the chase.

    I like spiderclamp and spike turrets if for nothing else than the
    tell-tale whine of them locking on target. That auditory clue is
    invaluable on maps where a capper can come in from any one of 365
    points on the compass.

    >obOtherGroup: OMGWTFBBQ, I made an on-topic post!

    Congrabulations.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    You're a few points short of a circle, dude. :)

Games Video Games