Newbie HDTV owner

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 3, 2005 1:02:50 PM

OK, So I finally upgraded to a 42" Sony LCD HDTV. I have basic Comcast
Cable. I was wondering if spending the extra $5/mo for HDTV is worth
it? I noticed that the HiDef channels available where mainly local
broadcasters too. Is there an antenna I can use to receive the HiDef
channels without paying Comcast for the addition of the HiDef channels
to my availble cable channels?

TIA,
JaKe

More about : newbie hdtv owner

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:59:16 PM

Good point! I decided to sign up for Comcast HD service for $11/mo.
And I get 15 HD channels in addition to my basic cable -- so you're
right, shelling out that amount for an HDTV and then cutting back on
the service makes no sense.

JaKe
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:53:50 PM

On 3 Aug 2005 09:02:50 -0700 jkdrummer@yahoo.com <jkdrummer@yahoo.com> wrote:

| OK, So I finally upgraded to a 42" Sony LCD HDTV. I have basic Comcast
| Cable. I was wondering if spending the extra $5/mo for HDTV is worth
| it? I noticed that the HiDef channels available where mainly local
| broadcasters too. Is there an antenna I can use to receive the HiDef
| channels without paying Comcast for the addition of the HiDef channels
| to my availble cable channels?

The national program providers are kinda slow in bringing out HD content,
but some are doing so. But not all cable systems are delivering all of
those, yet. Mucho head-end upgrades are needed to keep up with all of
these changes. You might be better off waiting a bit and call your cable
company every 6 months to ask them what programming they have in HD.

For over the air, it depends on what you can get. The appropriate antenna
depends on what channels your local stations are on, whether they will be
changing channels when they exit the transition phase, whether they are
running the DTV channel at full power, and how far away you are. These
can be anywhere from a dinky set top antenna to a massive array of big
yagis on a sturdy tower. Call your local stations, ask for engineering,
tell them where you are, and ask if they expect their DTV signal to be
able to reach you now, or in the future, and when the transition is done.

Where are you located?

Are you willing to put up an outside antenna?

Have you considered Dishnet or DirectTV?

August 3, 2005 8:56:17 PM

It depends on what the $5 delivers. Do you mean that you get HDTV via cable
rather than having to get it OTA? For me, that would be worth a lot more
than that, just for convenience. Do you mean you get an HDTV extra "tier",
such as we get from TW for $10, including INHD, INHD2, ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD
and several others? That's well worth it, in my book. In fact, we pay
extra for an SA 8300HD DVR box and consider it a bargain, based on what it
delivers!

If you have a built-in tuner and your HD network stations are near enough,
then you can pick them up OTA with an antenna. If that's all you want, then
that might be a solution for you.

I have never understood laying out all that cash for an HDTV then grousing
over a few bucks a month. On the other hand, if the TV was a present you or
won it in a raffle, well, that might be different.

mack
austin

<jkdrummer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> OK, So I finally upgraded to a 42" Sony LCD HDTV. I have basic Comcast
> Cable. I was wondering if spending the extra $5/mo for HDTV is worth
> it? I noticed that the HiDef channels available where mainly local
> broadcasters too. Is there an antenna I can use to receive the HiDef
> channels without paying Comcast for the addition of the HiDef channels
> to my availble cable channels?
>
> TIA,
> JaKe

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:31:54 PM

<jkdrummer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> OK, So I finally upgraded to a 42" Sony LCD HDTV. I have basic Comcast
> Cable. I was wondering if spending the extra $5/mo for HDTV is worth
> it? I noticed that the HiDef channels available where mainly local
> broadcasters too. Is there an antenna I can use to receive the HiDef
> channels without paying Comcast for the addition of the HiDef channels
> to my availble cable channels?
>
> TIA,
> JaKe

would you buy a new sports car and then not buy gas for it?
August 6, 2005 5:01:06 PM

Randy Sweeney wrote:

> <jkdrummer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>OK, So I finally upgraded to a 42" Sony LCD HDTV. I have basic Comcast
>>Cable. I was wondering if spending the extra $5/mo for HDTV is worth
>>it? I noticed that the HiDef channels available where mainly local
>>broadcasters too. Is there an antenna I can use to receive the HiDef
>>channels without paying Comcast for the addition of the HiDef channels
>>to my availble cable channels?
>>
>>TIA,
>>JaKe
>

> would you buy a new sports car and then not buy gas for it?

If I could get the gas for free then yes, I would buy a new sports car
and then not buy gas for it.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:55:12 PM

<tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
> Randy Sweeney wrote:
>
>> <jkdrummer@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>OK, So I finally upgraded to a 42" Sony LCD HDTV. I have basic Comcast
>>>Cable. I was wondering if spending the extra $5/mo for HDTV is worth
>>>it? I noticed that the HiDef channels available where mainly local
>>>broadcasters too. Is there an antenna I can use to receive the HiDef
>>>channels without paying Comcast for the addition of the HiDef channels
>>>to my availble cable channels?
>>>
>>>TIA,
>>>JaKe
>>

>> would you buy a new sports car and then not buy gas for it?
>
> If I could get the gas for free then yes, I would buy a new sports car and
> then not buy gas for it.

Well worth the five bucks!!
August 6, 2005 9:55:13 PM

Jack Dotson wrote:

> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message
>
>>Randy Sweeney wrote:
>>

>>><jkdrummer@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>would you buy a new sports car and then not buy gas for it?
>>
>>If I could get the gas for free then yes, I would buy a new sports car and
>>then not buy gas for it.
>

> Well worth the five bucks!!

It should be included in the price of cable. When are they going to stop
charging extra for it? Or is my cable bill going to go up $5 or $10
permanently?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:55:14 PM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:36:35 -0400, "tim@nocomment.com"
<tim@nocomment.com> wrote:

>Jack Dotson wrote:
>
>> <tim@nocomment.com> wrote in message

>>>If I could get the gas for free then yes, I would buy a new sports car and
>>>then not buy gas for it.
>>

>> Well worth the five bucks!!
>>

>It should be included in the price of cable. When are they going to stop
>charging extra for it? Or is my cable bill going to go up $5 or $10
>permanently?

HD is included in a cable basic package. You should only have to pay
rental of $5.00 or so of the HD cable box and remote. FCC regs (I
believe). Cable Co. do not tell you this however. You will only get
CBS, NBC, FOX and maybe a few more in a basic package.
August 6, 2005 9:55:15 PM

!