NEED to change IRQ...cannot do so in device manager or BIOS

magicfreak123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Hey guys,

I've been at this for some time now. I need to change the IRQ for my network card (D-link N Dwa-642) because it is sharing the same IRQ as my sound card (or so I see in my device manager) causing a crackling and static sound whilst transferring data through my network and accessing the internet. I am using a sony vaio dwa-642 (I know it's sort old, and I also have a macbook air and a new gateway I got a couple of days ago, but I love this laptop, and it's fast too). Anyway, I know it is the card because if I mute the sound, or take it out, I no longer hear this annoying and dreadful sound. I've already attempted to change my sound card slot and nothing happens, same IRQ, meaning same problem. I also tried to change my network card to the bottom slot (I have two card slots) and when I do, I get the device failed to connect sound from windows. I have no problem browsing or accessing the internet and I am currently working with 288 mbps transfer rate with this card, I just have to change the IRQ and the conflicts will be gone. So I have tried all suggestions I've found on the internet, changing slots, trying to change in device manager (it's greyed out) trying to change in the BIOS (has no effect whatsoever and once I save changes and boot up, it still shows up on IRQ 10). The only thing I haven't done is reinstall windows, but I have way too much sensitive info in here for that. What can I do?

Also, as a pointer, I do have ACPI enabled, because I need the benefits of IRQ sharing (on other non-conflicting devices), other than that, everything is perfect.

Can you help me?

And P.S I also tried booting device manager in safe mode to no avail.

Thanks, in advance for any responses. :) :hello:

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
You might try a USB nic for your network connection.
I recall nothing in the Sony notebook bios that will allow you to specifically select a devices irq. I think the card buss device is allocated one irq to use between the 2 slots.

Send a e-mail to sony you may get an answer.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
for whatever it is worth i just checked my sound blaster's irq and 'twas 16,,
that makes me think that all maybe/perhaps,,, SB's or SB emulation should turn up at irq 16,,non??
also there is a autoexec.bat replacement with some rem'd out lines and such like,i just forget the file name,duh,,,...:)

magicfreak123

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I'm very sorry to say, dokk2, although english was my first language, I still cannot comprehend your reply to my question. as for the Bios thing, I was confused with another tech problem I'm having, it should have said that I was not able to find anything in the BIOS to change the IRQ.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
it is posible that the network card is causing interferance with your sound card.
so that no matter what IRQ you use it won't matter.
do you have a spare network card or sound card to try on?

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Disable/remove ACPI.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314088

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
Don't expect to get that kind of hardware control with a SONY (or for them to have decent onboard sound, or to get anything out of their tech support). The problem with brand name computers is a lot of them have most BIOS functions disabled for the end user, and they skimp on some parts to save money.

I'd recommend an external USB sound card, as the onboard sound on a lot of laptops is too close to other components not to pick up interference and to have good quality. The good thing about that is, you can then use it on any other computer, laptop or not.

TRENDING THREADS