Sign in with
Your question

Desktop freezing

Last response: in Windows Vista
June 18, 2012 10:18:04 AM

Hello, i am trying to fix my friends pc when you turn on the pc it starts up i put in Password then when desktop loads it freezes cant even move the mouse...ive tried cleaning cpu put new thermal paste on (BTW the owner done this and put WAYYY TOO MUCH paste on it ozzed out the sides..i cleaned it up) swapping power supplies cleaned motherboard cleaned graphics card heat sink etc nothing works ive put the hard drive into my pc and works fine ive gone safe mode same problem..help plez

More about : desktop freezing

June 18, 2012 10:20:30 AM

please try a fresh installation of windows to rule out any software issues. if the fresh installation of windows fails, then you can start to look at hardware like cpu, ram, motherboard, etc.
m
l
June 18, 2012 10:25:19 AM

twismla said:
Hello, i am trying to fix my friends pc when you turn on the pc it starts up i put in Password then when desktop loads it freezes cant even move the mouse...ive tried cleaning cpu put new thermal paste on (BTW the owner done this and put WAYYY TOO MUCH paste on it ozzed out the sides..i cleaned it up) swapping power supplies cleaned motherboard cleaned graphics card heat sink etc nothing works ive put the hard drive into my pc and works fine ive gone safe mode same problem..help plez

What was initial problem that would cause someone to open the case and start applying thermal paste ? The hard drive booted in a different system ?
m
l
Related resources
June 18, 2012 10:31:34 AM

ksiemb said:
The hard drive booted in a different system ?

yeah i was curious about that myself. they must have the same model of laptop or motherboard hehe that was serendipitous
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:28:26 AM

yeh i took the HD out n put it into my pc and had no problem it loads fine thats y i tried swapping power supply etc only thing i have not tried is swapping a known good cpu to see if that was the problem. (my m8 thinks of himself as a I.T tech since he done a A+ course but hes still a noob LOL and thinks jus because it freezes the cpu is overheating) <------ try looking in BIOS b4 opening the case NOOB !! lol
m
l
!