kenny724

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Hello, again, everybody. Ok, just bought two sticks of 512mb each to replace the two 256s in this computer. The motherboard is supposed to support 1GB.....well I took the old ram out, and put the new ram in.....nothing...no video. I took one new stick out and put one old stick back in...to make768....well distorted screen dots everywhere. I tried different combinations.....the same result, or no video, and the keyboard doesn't respond.

However, when I put the old RAM back in everything works just fine. So logic says this is bad ram...am I right?

Thanks,
Kenny

Mondoman

Splendid
It's hard to tell without knowing anything about your system. Please post the model numbers of you new RAM, of your old RAM, of your motherboard, and tell us what else you have in your system.

kenny724

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
motherboard is ASUS A7V-VM
this is all i have on the memory....it came from bzboyz
Size & Bit 64 Bits
Data Rate 133 Mbps
Bus Frequency 100/133 MHz
Backward Compactible PC2100
Package Type TSOP-II
Densities 512MB
Voltage 3.3V
RAM technology SDRAM
Form Factor DIMM 168-pin
Low Density YES

Mondoman

Splendid
It seems that you need PC133 SDRAM. Since you can't seem to find even a part number (not even from bzboyz?), it's pretty much impossible for us to find info on the RAM you bought.
With neither of the two modules working on your system (even alone), my guess would be that you got modules that are incompatible, rather than defective modules. In any case, I'd give the vendor a call.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
old ram is expensive. u could get a new computer for just a little more. its not worth upgrading old technology unless it makes sense.