Sign in with
Your question

Need help with DVD driver during Vista Installation

Last response: in Storage
June 12, 2009 6:56:34 AM

Hi, I just finished my first build and have been trying to install Vista all day long. The problem is that it is telling me I need to install my CD-ROM driver before it can continue more and has offered a little driver wizard thing to help me find the driver files on a floppy, FlashDrive, or CD that I put in. I have tried downloading the correct driver for my DVD drive (A Sony Optiarc SATA AD-7240S-0B - OEM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030) from the Sony-Optiarc website, but the Vista Wizard will not recognize it. I have put it on a flash drive and it didn't work and then I even burned it to a DVD and it didn't recognize it still. I was wondering if anybody had any answers to my problem, like maybe I have to do something different with the drivers since it is OEM. I'm still new to all this but have been searching for an answer for hours and have finally decided to ask y'all. Thanks
a b G Storage
June 12, 2009 4:38:43 PM

To be honest, I never heard of Windows needing drivers for optical drives unless really cutting-edge for the OS (maybe like using a Blu-Ray drive to install XP).

One thing that might be happening is that Vista asks for the drivers of the SATA controller on which the drive is plugged.

Can you give us full system specs?
June 12, 2009 9:07:34 PM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
MOBO: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 4870
PSU: Antec EarthWatts EA-650
Case: Antec 300
HDD: Western Digital 750GB 32mb cache
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 240pin
CD/DVD: (listed above)

I've found some other pages about it and how Vista 64bit sometimes will not recognize NEC optical drives, but most of the solutions involve installing XP and doing a bunch of other junk, but this is a clean install and (will be) the only PC in my house, I have macs. The only other solution they say is to install with a different optical drive and then switch back to the regular one after installation. Any help would be awesome
Related resources
a b G Storage
June 12, 2009 9:58:10 PM

Found a possible solution on this board (post #6):
Quote:
In the end, I simply turn off IDE emulation for SATA drives on my motherboard and the problem was solved.
June 12, 2009 10:31:54 PM

How would I go about "turning off IDE emulation"?
a b G Storage
June 12, 2009 10:58:37 PM

At boot, you have to press a key (<DEL> most of the time) to access the BIOS, from there it is motherboard specific so you might want to check your manual.
a b G Storage
June 13, 2009 1:57:57 AM

Also make your DVD drive the first boot device.
June 13, 2009 4:39:48 AM

I changed the IDE emulator to ACHI and I have had the DVD drive as the first boot device, but now when I boot from the DVD drive with the Vista CD in the drive it says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I don't understand this now seeing as I have a bootable disc inserted.
a b G Storage
June 13, 2009 11:01:14 AM

You can try "forcing" the SATA detection to CDROM instead of AUTO, with and without IDE emulation.

After that you might want to contact Asus tech support and see what they have to say.
June 27, 2009 12:29:44 AM

Hi, :hello: 

I have the same Burner it installed without a problem, I have WinXP pro.

I found this for AD-7240S @ Sony for Drivers & a FAQ:

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/productshalf-height-drive...

Quote:
Important:

It is very important that you don't try to flash a S-ATA device with a P-ATA firmware and vice versa.You could damage your drive in doing so. To be on the safe side, please read the Update Procedure under menu item 'Firmware updates' before you flash the drive. Our firmware installer is only available as a WindowsInstaller.

OUR FIRMWARE UPDATES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THOSE PROVIDED BY THE OEM VENDORS (e.g. HP, DELL, FUJITSU-SIEMENS ETC.).

THESE VERSIONS MAY DAMAGE YOUR DRIVE.

AD-7240S (S-ATA)

Download Version 1.01

http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/downloads...

!