Same Generic Build Questions

cruxamity

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Alight, first I'm going to apologize for the impending ignorance of the following questions. I have absolutely no background in physical make up of computers. I've more or less learned everything I know about the internal workings of computers from this forum. If you were to tell me to put a hamster and a wheel inside of a tower, I would probably believe you.

The motivation behind building my own computer? I'm bored.

Alright, here is my grand design:

I'd like to build a computer in which all of my entertainment systems revolve around. I have a 5.1 Klipsch surround sound system with a Yamaha receiver and I'd like to take this opportunity to justify buying a new HD tv 42" or above and use that as my computer screen. Wireless is key because I want the computer to set out of the way.

Apart from functioning in as a home entertainment hub, I'd like to get back into the gaming world.

Here is what I've gleaned from reading the forum. Sorry for not including links, I'm not really sure how.

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Mid Tower Case

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664AA804

CPU: INTEL Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz 1333 MHz 775 6MB Desktop Processor

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W Active Power Supply

GPU: 9800GTX 512mb (Brand matter?)

Mobo: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP Intel Core 2 Duo (Desktop) Socket 775 1333MHz PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) ATX Motherboard

HDD: I don't care, how much does it matter for movies, tv, and gaming?

Optical Drive: Blu Ray read/write (Need help here)

Audo Card: (Need some help)

OS: Dunno. Which one is better for Home Entertainment and Gaming?

My idea of multi-tasking is writing a word document and listening to music, so I figured I stay with the Core 2 Duo as opposed to the Quad.

Honestly, the first two games I want to get are Doom 3 and Quake 4.

In regards to the Mobo, I keep seeing that you should start looking at SLI for screens above 22"-24" So, do I need to start looking at those instead because of the 42" + tv I'd like to get.

Is it the Mobo or the GPU that determines whether or not HD can be outputted to a TV? (Should I be allowed to build a computer if I have to ask these kind of questions?)

As for the money aspect of the build, I think I'm like everyone else. The most bang for the buck.

Thanks for your time.

~CA

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
For gpu, brand does not matter.

For hdd, if capacity matters, get one of the new 1TB drives. In term of price per gb, 500gb drives offer better value.

For OS, you need 64bit to use all 4gb of ram. Get Vista 64bit if you
want it to last longer and be more or less trouble-free. Get XP 64bit
if you want every bit of speed, since the OS is lighter on system
resources.

For heavy gaming on large resolution, extra performance provided by
sli/crossfire matters. For watching movies, it doesn't make a
difference. Keep in mind you do not have to use high resolution just
because you use a large monitor, it just looks sharper. HD output
depends on graphics card, not motherboard.

Everything else good as is.

level101

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008

It's the resolution not the size

Is it the Mobo or the GPU that determines whether or not HD can be outputted to a TV?

Both, one for the sound & one for the graphics. Unless you get a seperate Sound Card, then it would be the sound card & the graphics card

Sounds like a good list.

I'd replace the 9800GTX with an 8800GTS G92 512MB. Preferably eVGA, BFG or XFX. You won't lose much and you save $100 or whatever.

Some fast HDDs good for storing movies: WD6400AAKS, WD7500AAKS, Seagate 7200.11 (500GB or 750GB or 1TB).

A 42" TV with 1080p can be used for gaming at 1920x1080. Compare that with a regular 24" or 27" or 28" computer monitor which runs at 1920x1200. When you play games you will have to sit close to the monitor, unless you buy a very long DVI or HDMI cable or whatever. That is, with a 42" you will have to sit farther away than with a monitor. Make sure you have the room. Also, I don't know of any way to get wireless connections between the video card and the monitor (or TV). That is, the PC won't really be out of the way, it will have to be close to the TV.

At 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 you should indeed consider SLI. Get an EVGA 780i motherboard and a PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Crossfire Edition. That way you will be able to add a second video card when the first one turns out to be insufficient. It will, in games like Crysis or Frontlines, and future games might be even worse.

Sound card: if you use Vista get an HT Omega Claro. For XP you can get an X-Fi. Avoid the X-Fi/Vista combination, that's not good because Creative's drivers for Vista stink.

No clue about Blu-Ray drives, sorry.

Good choices of RAM, CPU, case.

About the hamster, by all means, get one. It will help if you're bored. I'd keep it outside the PC though. It sheds hair and messes up the cooling. Also, it eliminates salt-rich fluids which can cause short circuits.

cruxamity

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
Again, thank you!

I guess, when I said out of the way, I meant close to the TV, away from the couch/chair. I intend on using wireless peripherals like the keyboard and mouse. WiFi for "teh intarweb"