Whats inside seagate usb2 external harddrive ?

don_centex

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Whats in a usb2 harddrive external box? I have a seagate 1.5TB version. I am thinking that inside this box is a usb2>SATA adapter card. I am further guessing that if I want to attach this harddrive directly to my system that I can unplug the usb2 adapter and directly hookup to SATA port. Is my guessing correct? I'd like to find this out before tearing into it and ruining my warranty. Has anyone else done this already?

tks
Don

RomDA_73

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Hi don, which Seagate External Hard Drive are you talking about in the first place? Some of the company's offerings use standard drives, others don't unfortunately.

don_centex

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
hello Rom
I decided to fling caution to the wind and I guess I got lucky. Inside there is in fact a SATA 1.5TB drive. a STA31500341AS that is a 7500 rpm drive with 2MB buffer. So now I am going to order a PCI SATA card on ebay. It comes with an external cable so I can use it almost the same way and get the performanc up. My problem is that I'd like to use it to capture real time video and with USB2 it can't quite keep up. I'm pretty sure that this will solve the problem.

this most difficult aspect of the teardown was to figure out where to apply the screwdrive to pry the case appart.
don