Abit IP35 + .45 processor problems

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
All my parts are on the way (thanks btw) but i just read about a problem with my motherboard and the processor i got.

My motherboard: Abit IP35

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=-1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&Page=2

My processor: e8400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

According to a bunch of the review for the motherboard, there are problems with .45 processors. They say that the bios needs to be updated. How would i accomplish this from a fresh install? I heard that "flashing" (don't know what that means) is dangerous for a motherboard. Ideas?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

first of all,,"flashing" is not "bad" for your mobo,,it is just the process by which one installs a newer bois on the mobo,the bios,,,which is the pre boot check that all mobo's go through when they are turned on,,the bios,,= basic in out system ,checks all attached hardware of any given system..
now then,,,, before you purchase any mobo make certain that the installed bios will "see" and support the cpu that you intend to install on said mobo you may have to "flash" said bois on a p35 chipset first,you might have to borrow a 65nm cpu to flash the bios before it will see the 8400,,45nm,,,check with abit's web site to make sure..
and then have phun and enjoy your "new toy"... :)

bobdaman18

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Thanks for the crash course. It seems that not everyone has the problem so i'm going to give it a try and see. I might be able to get my hands on a .65 but i'd rather not go through other people's computers. Its good to know this is an option though. Cross your fingers for me.

Dunar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I had the same problem with my IP-35 Pro Mobo and my e8400. My fix to work around this was to:
1. Restart the machine
2. Enter the Bios (hit Delete)
3. Go to the uGuru screen
4. Tab over to the Abit EQ (i think its what it is called)
5. Take the * out of the CPU temperature shutdown option.
6. Hit F10 to Save and Exit Bios.

When I got into the HD I used FlashMenu to flash and update the BIO's on my MOBO to at least v16. If you go to the Japan site you can download the v17. This fixed me up with that issue and my temps were fine at the beginning and end so your not going to burn up your cpu or board. I had a tester and the highest my CPU temp got was 38degrees.