Overclocking CPU, Fanless?

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hey folks,

I'm used to cooling with heatsink & fan combos just fine. And I'm not really into the water thing, as I'm not extreme overclocking. Just mild overclocks. But, I'm looking to quiet things down while still being able to crank out a little more juice from components, like the CPU.

Point in case: Phenom 9850 Black Edition.

Clocking it up to about 3ghz. Is it possible to do this without a fan for cooling? Ie, are there really large heat sinks out there, that would be able to do this with stability? Or is a fan/water basically the only way to really go about it? I've seen some huge towering heat sinks without fans on some overclocks, but I'm not sure if they were on older chips or what.

I'd love to hear any recommendations or if it's just not going to happen, etc. Names of any heatsinks, if possible, would be great too.

Much appreciated!

Very best,

I do not have any experience with current AMD CPU's, but fanless overclock is pretty much an oxymoron. But you could try it with something like a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or Xigmatek (cheaper) HDT S-1283. And if your temps are too high, you can simply add the fan.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
No, There is not such a fan.

The cooler linked above is rated at a TDP of 65w which is lower than the Phenom at stock (125w).

In fact with the optional cooler its rated to 130w which is only 5w more then the Phenom. So even with active cooling, it would be pushing that cooler.

olddman

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
If fanless does not work you; Scythe makes fans all the way down to 8dBA, which for all practicle purposes is silent.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Heya,

Hrm. On another note, I could seek a relatively quiet cooling option for the CPU and then look to try to dampen the sound in the case more. Any one have ideas for common materials that could be used in a case to line walls for sound dampening? I've seen a lot of specific material online for this, but it's all rather expensive and seems like I could just find something for less price that does the same thing. Just something that is resistant to flame and won't melt essentially along with an adhesive with the same properties to attach it with. Anyone do anything like this? The sound dampening might help with my videocards too; those fans are loud.

Very best,

Silversmih

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
My solution for an almost completely fan less system was water cooling. I water cooled CPU, GPU, and Hard drives. The only fan in my entire system was a very low speed one blowing on the MOBO chipset and memory. Most people still use a fan to run air through the radiator. In my case I put the radiator in front of my office air conditioner and let the air conditioner do the work. I overclocked the living daylights out of the thing and rarely saw temps much higher then ambient in my office! The loudest sound of my entire system was the water pump. The only thing I didn't do (and subsequently paid the price for it) was rig some sort of automatic cutoff in case the pump failed.

Ciao

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well 19 dba is unhearble to the human ear... ambient noise is usually around that. imo just get the TRUE and the slowest fan you can get :p scythe makes some pretty good silent fans