SATA hard drive disappears from system intermittently

jaywrench

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
My second hard drive (SATA) disappears from the system intermittently. I am running XP SP2. The event viewer confirms this stating Maxtor (id #) has disappered from the system. If I restart the system the drive will not reappear; I have to shut down and start the system. As I said it is completely intermittent NO ryhme or reason. I have replaced both cables, power and sata. My OS runs on the primary SATA and the 2nd SATA is the drive that disappears.

System specs
MB---ASUS P5KC
2 SATA hard drives Maxtor 80 GB
1 IDE drive WD 80GB

toddgei

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I had the same problem have an asus mobo with a SATA and a 500 gig SATA II drive. The Sata drive is fine while the SATA II will appear and disappear and often failed during file transfers etc.

I tried everything from updating the bios firmware to sata drivers in windows and nothing worked. I even found that partition magic etc in dos mode would also crash trying to use the drive. I thought partitioning it to under 137 gig might work, but didnt

In the end as a last resort I bought a SATA II card and the moment I installed it the drive has worked flawlessly.

In the end I believe that for some reason the asus sata firmware is incompatible with certain sata II drives. I think unless Asus come up with a firmware fix the only solution is to buy an additional SATA II card.