drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I am thinking of getting new mobo that will be able to probly oc my Q6600, but I was wondering what the performance increase would be (as im not spending £200 unless it does somthing) if I OC from stock (2.4Ghz) to about 3.4Ghz-3.6Ghz the rest of my system is 4GB RAM 2x8800 GTS 512MB. can anyone tell me about their experiences with their Q6600?

What motherboard do you have now? I guess that'd be the question. Have you tried to OC your Q6600 on your current board yet?

The Intel based motherboard are generally best for OC'ing a Quad Core. Since you have 2x8800GTS going, I'm assuming you have an nForce/nVidia based board. Do you have a 600i series or 700i series board?

G

what resolution do you play at?

you'll probably get a pretty substantial improvement as more than likely your processor is bottlenecking (to what degree IDK) your SLI cards

680i doesn't overclock quads at all but it can do duals just fne

a good mobo is the p5q series as they are great overclockers (have my q9550 at 3.85 ghz on one)

another good one is the Gigabyte EP45 UD3P

there are a couple other amazing overclocking boards... but they are more oriented towards dual overclocking

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
what resolution do you play at?

you'll probably get a pretty substantial improvement as more than likely your processor is bottlenecking (to what degree IDK) your SLI cards

680i doesn't overclock quads at all but it can do duals just fne

a good mobo is the p5q series as they are great overclockers (have my q9550 at 3.85 ghz on one)

another good one is the Gigabyte EP45 UD3P

there are a couple other amazing overclocking boards... but they are more oriented towards dual overclocking
both motherboards look good but i dont think either have sli i was thinking of a Evga 780i FTW

G

oops my bad i missed the sli part O_O

lol stupid oversight by me

how much are you willing to spend?

The only good 7 series board from nvidia is the 790i... but that requires ddr3 ram

so you'll be spending a lot more

If I were in your position i'd try to wait out until your system can't do what you want anymore

then with the money you saved, build another kick-a** system

drkailinium

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
oops my bad i missed the sli part O_O

lol stupid oversight by me

how much are you willing to spend?

The only good 7 series board from nvidia is the 790i... but that requires ddr3 ram

so you'll be spending a lot more

If I were in your position i'd try to wait out until your system can't do what you want anymore

then with the money you saved, build another kick-a** system
well i have ddr2 ram so not mad on the 790i and the cost is quite alot but i heard the Evga 780i was a good overclocker with a good cooler which i have (antec extreme cooler)

The nForce/nVidia based boards are hit or miss with OC'ing quads. I've had two XFX 680i LT SLI boards. The first one died and I got it warranty replaced.

That first board WOULD NOT overclock my Q6600 AT ALL.

My replacement board, I've run @ 3.2Ghz for quite a while now, and had a pretty easy time of getting it stable too (cross fingers, thank God).

Problem is, all the good OC boards for Quads are Intel boards. Which means you can't run SLI. :(

Later, if you ever upgrade to the new i7 CPUs though, the X58 motherboard (i7/DDR3 board) will do SLI & Crossfire. :)