Read NTFS from Win98?

I know that there used to be programs that would let you read NT4's NTFS partitions from a FAT32 OS (win98) partition. Is there a similar prog out somewhere that will read the new NTFS in XP (NTFS2?) from a FAT32 OS?

Thanks in advance.

~Rapier21
4 answers Last reply
More about read ntfs win98
  1. havent heard of one, but i seriously doubt it.....NTFS5 is a serious boost for security from nt4. very tough nut to crack.

ignore everything i say
  2. Just curious, I don't see that many people really need that type of access when mostly use a separate Win2000 boot partition and separate data/application volume(s) as FAT32 for share purpose, and the FAT32 is faster probably, anyway it is a better solution for share.
    ?
    But as I remember (I have references to the site at home and I'm at school now), there are some downloads (not free) for NTFS5 also to read from FAT.
    Never tried it although, neither with WinNT. Anybody can say seriously that we can trust it?
  3. I donnuu weather fat32 is faster or not, depends on a lot of things, however ntfs is very handy if you share dirves (im talking home here- not companies) as you can linit what access other pc's have, for eg my main shared apps partition is ntfs, my 98 box has full access, my kids has read only, the other partition is "overflow" from my kids as he only has a 6 gig drive and its full, this one he has full access to., FAT32 is either shared, or not shared, no inbetweens.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
  4. Re> <font color=blue>"I know that there used to be programs that would let you read NT4's NTFS partitions from a FAT32 OS (win98) partition. Is there a similar prog out somewhere that will read the new NTFS in XP (NTFS2?) from a FAT32 OS?"</font color=blue>

Oh, probably I'm lost here. I confused thought we're talking about a stand-alone machine with different file systems, not networked. Sorry.
    Yes, no matter the file system for different boxes on a network in order to see each partition. And file system it is a matter in order to take the advantage of the security features on the NTFS.
Ask a new question

Read More

NTFS FAT32 Windows