DanielCD

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
So it was my first build and I was having troubles installing the CPU cooler on the mobo when it was in the case, so I took the mobo out and installed it, but I, stupidly, forgot the orientation of the fan, so I actually installed the fan backwards (blowing air to the front) - there's a fan in the back of my case that blows air out the back. It's been running "backwards" for like 3 weeks, and I haven't seen anything wrong with it. Easy Tuner 6 (gigabyte's mobo utility) reports the CPU at 24-28C at idle and never above 41C at load as far as I've seen. It was a pain in the ass to get it installed -- should I reinstall it so it blows air to the back? Would I have to reapply the thermal paste? (I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler)

CPU: E8400 @ 3.0ghz
CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooler 7
Case: NZXT Tempest
Mobo: GIGABYTE UD3R

Right now I don't have this overclocked, but maybe within a few months I plan on do it once I get more comfortable with my hardware

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Yep...it's best to remove the old thermal paste and apply new paste.

It shouldn't take you long to do - there are guides all over the place detailing both the removal and application of thermal paste.

Sorry.

Good luck.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006

i dont know about that, being divorced i thought i would have time to game and tinker, but im still dad, and gotta keep the ladies happy,lol

ricman

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
Hey I have the exact same cooler and that is the correct way to install it. What it does is push hot air to the rear exhaust fan so it in turn blows out of the case.