Help Choosing an Upgrade: CPU or GPU

Hello all, I've got a bit of a quandary. I'm looking to upgrade my system a bit and I'm working with a budget of about $230. Right now I'm stuck between a new motherboard (Gigabyte AM2+) a Black Edition 5000 X2 with new memory, or an 8800GTS 512. I know that the GTS will be limited by my current 4200 X2, and of course, the new MB and CPU won't give me much of a gaming boost with my 1800XT. Really then, which would you guys choose if there was only the money for one?
10 answers Last reply
More about help choosing upgrade
  1. The gts. I just did a GT with a opty 170 and it is great.
  2. Video card would be much better upgrade for games.
  3. I agree, the GTS 512 would be the better upgrade for games. But that depends on what you want. The 5000+ X2 BE would be a good upgrade as well. Comes down to what you really need.
  4. It's really an all purpose machine, but I do a good bit of gaming. I'll eventually upgrade everything, of course, but I thought I'd get some input. Thanks for all the responses so far.
  5. I would recommend the GTS for your upgrade. If your going to spend the money on a new motherboard, cpu and memory, at the risk of being called a fanboy, I would recommend going with an Intel system.
  6. Agreed that Intel has the faster product line, but I find it hard to argue with the Black Edition's price point, especially once it's overclocked.
  7. I would agree with that if the OP was just going to get the CPU and overclock it. He is also getting a new motherboard and memory, though. If your going to get and entirely new system I would recommend going with "the faster product line".
  8. i just upgraded from an amd s939 4000+ and 7950gt to an opty 180 ($140) and evga 8800gt ($175). they both made a huge difference. since you already have a dual core cpu, go with the video card upgrade. even with the single core, the 8800gt made a big difference for me.
  9. The AMD 4200X2 is nothing to sneeze at with a powerful gaming video card.

I can tell your for certain that your video card will hold back your performance drastically even if you have the most powerful mobo/cpu.

So definitely go with the video card upgrade first and you will get even greater performance later if you decide to upgrade the mobo/cpu without buying a new video card.
  10. Cool. Thanks everyone, especially the guys with the optys. I'ma get me a graphics card now.

/here's hoping I run into some extra money for the rest of the system soon.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt CPUs Systems Product