Tags:
  • DVD Writers
  • Laptops
  • Blu-ray
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
June 13, 2009 10:36:10 AM

Hi. I am in the process of acquiring a laptop. My intention is to buy an HP HDX 16t. Also,I want to buy a blue ray player. When I customize the configuration for the laptop, I have the option to add a blue ray unit. Which option do you think would be better (in term of image quality, sound etc,), buying a standalone blue ray player or including one in my laptop's configuration? By adding the internal blue ray unit to the laptop, the price would rise with about $150; I have seen that I can find pretty decent standalone blue ray players for about $200 so finally there would be no signifcant difference between them in term of money. I do not want to watch the movies on laptop display but on my 42' HDTV. The laptop has a IntelCore 2 Duo processor T6600 (2.2 GHz), 4 Gb DDR2 memory and a 512 Mb NVIDIA GeForce 9600M graphic board. The internal blue ray unit for this laptop would be Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S. Thank you.

More about : blue ray internal unit versus standalone player

a b G Storage
June 13, 2009 11:27:59 AM

The main advantage I can think of using a laptop's BD drive over standalone player is flexibly (including portability).
Flexible as in the ability to play any BD+ (never ending BD content protection...) disks including future ones without being left out in the cold (PS3 uses firmware updates). All you need to do is update the software e.g. PowerDVD9. Also you have the ability to use software like AnyDVD HD to bypass HDCP and rip BD disks.

Just remember that with audio, for best quality you'd have to let HDMI pass through a receiver first which will decode its digital audio and output to your home theater speakers before the video signal is passed onto the TV. If you just used analogue audio output straight from your laptop, the quality won't be very good at all.
June 13, 2009 8:14:51 PM

wuzy said:
The main advantage I can think of using a laptop's BD drive over standalone player is flexibly (including portability).
Flexible as in the ability to play any BD+ (never ending BD content protection...) disks including future ones without being left out in the cold (PS3 uses firmware updates). All you need to do is update the software e.g. PowerDVD9. Also you have the ability to use software like AnyDVD HD to bypass HDCP and rip BD disks.

Just remember that with audio, for best quality you'd have to let HDMI pass through a receiver first which will decode its digital audio and output to your home theater speakers before the video signal is passed onto the TV. If you just used analogue audio output straight from your laptop, the quality won't be very good at all.

Thank you, wuzy.
!