program to hard drive

Hi-I think a very basic question. I have an older world atlas program that
installs to program files but I can only get it to work by using the CD each
time to run it. I just want to be able to hit its' icon and run it w/o
having to insert the disc. It's a '95 release, I'm running XP Pro on a
Pavilion 530J. Can anyone help?
--
Thanks-Alan
4 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Many programs work that way to prevent piracy. Try a virtual CD drive, there
    are many available. You would copy the disk to the virtual drive and run the
    program from there.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "odeek9" <odeek9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi-I think a very basic question. I have an older world atlas program
    > that
    > installs to program files but I can only get it to work by using the CD
    > each
    > time to run it. I just want to be able to hit its' icon and run it w/o
    > having to insert the disc. It's a '95 release, I'm running XP Pro on a
    > Pavilion 530J. Can anyone help?
    > --
    > Thanks-Alan

    Thanks-now I know-thought it was my stupidity
    --
    Thanks-Alan

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Many programs work that way to prevent piracy. Try a virtual CD drive, there
    > are many available. You would copy the disk to the virtual drive and run the
    > program from there.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "odeek9" <odeek9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi-I think a very basic question. I have an older world atlas program
    > > that
    > > installs to program files but I can only get it to work by using the CD
    > > each
    > > time to run it. I just want to be able to hit its' icon and run it w/o
    > > having to insert the disc. It's a '95 release, I'm running XP Pro on a
    > > Pavilion 530J. Can anyone help?
    > > --
    > > Thanks-Alan

    Perhaps also the program had an installation option that allowed for copying
    data to the hd?

    > Thanks-now I know-thought it was my stupidity
    > --
    > Thanks-Alan
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Many programs work that way to prevent piracy. Try a virtual CD drive,
    there
    > > are many available. You would copy the disk to the virtual drive and run
    the
    > > program from there.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "odeek9" <odeek9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi-I think a very basic question. I have an older world atlas program
    > > > that
    > > > installs to program files but I can only get it to work by using the
    CD
    > > > each
    > > > time to run it. I just want to be able to hit its' icon and run it
    w/o
    > > > having to insert the disc. It's a '95 release, I'm running XP Pro on
    > > > Pavilion 530J. Can anyone help?
    > > > --
    > > > Thanks-Alan

    Did it have any install options such as minimal, full, custom, run from disk
    or run from hd?

    I can't say if this will work or not, but many app CD's from back then could
    be copied to the HD and then setup run from the HD instead of the CD. When the
    app was executed it would look at the HD install directory/folder from which to
    run. I presently have a few installed/running by using this method.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    Suggested posting do's/don'ts: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "odeek9" <odeek9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi-I think a very basic question. I have an older world atlas program that
    > installs to program files but I can only get it to work by using the CD each
    > time to run it. I just want to be able to hit its' icon and run it w/o
    > having to insert the disc. It's a '95 release, I'm running XP Pro on a
    > Pavilion 530J. Can anyone help?
    > --
    > Thanks-Alan

Hard Drives Windows XP