Did I get a faulty CPU?

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Hello I have just bought a Q9450. Installed it, made sure the FAN was down etc.. Then when I booted it, it told me i need a BIOS update to "Use it at full power". So when I got to the log in screen my computer power off (Just cut out). I went into the BIOS settings and my FSB is running at 1777mhz. Does anyone know why?

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
On the asus website there are loads of different files to download. Do I download the one that adds support to new CPUs or just download the latest one?
Sorry if this is a stupid question I have never done this before...
EDIT: My motherboard is the Asus Maximus Forumla. Can anyone link me to the software that will check and update the BIOS for me?

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Thanks Someguy7. If the old BIOS thought the CPU ran at 1777FSB and caused it to overheat to a point where it cut out. Whos fault would that be if the CPU was broke?

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It would be your fault. It should be fine. When a overclock setting is to high for either the cpu or mobo to handle it usually will just shut it self down do to heat or system instability. As long as the old BIOS didnt send way to much voltage into the cpu it should be fine.

I have never even tried to upgrade a cpu myself. With me by the time I end up doing a ugrade I need a new mobo anyways. Others who have experience with this way be able to shed some light. Not sure if windows handles the switch fine or if it needs a clean install to properly deal with the newer tech and more cores of your new cpu. If the bios uprade doesnt solve all the issues that would be my next suggestion to look into

The person who ignored the "UPDATE BIOS" message!

But seriously, update your BIOS and that may fix all your issues.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
It said I only had to update if I wanted full power not if I didn't want a fire! :) Now I knew I needed the files of the intrenet so I decided to boot up and get the files. Anyway I had to install old CPU boot up, get files. Then install the new one again and update. Anyway I did this and my system is still way too hot. My South bridge is running at 49C! Is this unsafe? Should I buy a better case? Although CPU is down to 38C now. I only have 1 X 120mm fan.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Yes you need good cooling to run a quad, both north and southbridge will run noticeably warmer, and some active cooling is cheap insurance.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
It still is your fault if anything goes wrong for even putting in a cpu that wasnt supported by the current bios on the board. That 49C is warm. What was the temps on it with the old chip? And what chip did it replace? This is all assumption but when I checked the asus website I think the bios for your quad is a beta, which usally means its a older chipset that doesnt officially support the cpu(by intels standards) and has to overclock itself to run it at default. Like a board/chipset(p965) that was made to support 1066FSB but later on with updates can run the 1333FSB dual and quad cores by overclocking. That may have caused a temp increase on the NB. But your south bridge is hot. You might consider getting more fans especially if you got a video card that produces a good amount of heat. Airflow is always a plus.

Also is your FSB and all the other stuff at the correct settings now?

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Yes it is right now. But when I run any software that uses alot of CPU power (Like games) my CPU jumps from the 40s to 70C.
The old chip never really went over 52C (1.8 dual core).
I think it is a bit stupid that the motherboard let me continue but did not tell me that it might not be safe.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

if its a newer chip it will have Tjunction temp which would shut off ur CPU preventing any damage to be done. I think your chip is safe, just work on that cooling!

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah I think that is what happened before thank god. But I can not use it at 70C though. I don't know what to do. I know its a fast CPU but I never knew they ran this hot. Would installing some better thermal paste help?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

more paste can make it worse if you have enough all ready. Too much will can cause problems, but too little paste can casue the same problems, it a risk you got to take but you can try it, you only need a dime size drop of paste then evenly spred it on the cpu.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah but i'm guessing that the paste that comes with the CPU will not be as good as the paste that I can buy from the shops. I'll go to town tomorrow and look for a better heatsink/fan and thermal paste

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
yea thats true the paste you buy is more conductive, buy ur self a small $5 tube of some high quality thermal paste.

P.S. I was thinking it could be ur case is not cooling good enough, how is the cooling on your case? You useing 80mm or 120mm fans?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
get CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

core# are the temps where Tjunction (Tj. Max) is the temp set to where your CPU shutt off to prevent damage.