Unable to format using the Vista CD

cebastian

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hi!

I'm planning to install Windows 7 from a USB device and therefore I've been trying to format my hard drive. And as the title suggests, I'm having some problems with re-installing/formatting Windows Vista. I've always been able to do it
using the installation CD but for some reason I get the following errormessage; "This version of the alternatives for system recovery is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows." I'm Swedish so I apologize if the translation is some what wrong. (or anything in this post)
I've googled and looked for ways to format without the CD and there seems to be one way using the Disc management function, but I can't get it to work.

Anyone who might have any idea how to solve this?

// Sebastian, Sweden

dont worry about formatting or vista. simply boot off the windows 7 installation media (in your case the usb thumbdrive) and during the installation you can delete or create partitions, or have it format a partition for you.

cebastian

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Sweet. Thanks!

cebastian

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I tried it and I could format but I cannot install. I get the following message; "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."
Any idea?