Sign in with
Your question

Computer Problem

Last response: in CPUs
May 13, 2008 4:15:46 PM

Ever since yesterday my computer has been functioning horribly. Whenever I turn it on, everything seems fine; no hiccups, no error messages, no slowness. I type in my password--and then the big problem arises. There is absolutely nothing on the desktop, excpet the arrow, which could still be moved. I could see that the screen is lighted, but it is blank. I've tried a few different things:

• When I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the computer goes back to the previous page (you know, the one where I type in my password). I then went into Task manager, typed in explorer.exe, and the icons at the bottom of the screen appear very, very briefly, before disappearing again.
  • I tried starting the computer up in safe mode. When it gets to the page, in all four corners of the screen I can see the message 'safe mode.' But the screen is still blank, the arrow is still moveable, and the desktop icons are non-apparent.

The thing is however, when I type in an internet site using the 'New Task' option, the internet page comes up, and I have complete access to the internet. Likewise, all CD's and DVD's I put into the computer, play, and all documents come up.

Yesterday I downloaded two games. Both were unable to work. I was so upset (lol) that I went searching in their files for a possible problem. When I opened them, I not only saw unusual, weird code like messages, but also some weird riddles (something about the fox being able to jump...). I figured that this couldn't be the right files to open the games. Were these viruses? :o 

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? :( 
    Thanks in advance!
  • More about : computer problem

May 13, 2008 4:24:17 PM

Probably have to format your pc really and reinstall windows.
    May 13, 2008 4:30:18 PM

Try re-installing windows. I belive the part about the fox comes from Clear type so its not a virus. also when you get online go to the bottom of your screen where quick launch is and right click, when it opens,click on Show Desktop. What OS are you using??
    Related resources
    May 13, 2008 4:31:36 PM

1. add another logon profile and see if the icons show up there
    2. try a registry cleaner lick ccleaner
    3. try to clean out the virus that is beating up on you.
    4. follow spanner's advice and nuke the machine

The first three can save your machine, spanners advice (#4) is probably your best bet in the long run.
    May 13, 2008 4:38:11 PM

I have Windows Vista, and did I mention that it's a laptop? My brother keeps telling me that I can't format a laptop. Is this true?
    May 13, 2008 4:46:33 PM

As long as you have the install cd for Vista or the manufacturer cd that came with the laptop you'll be okay.
    a b à CPUs
    May 13, 2008 4:57:31 PM

There is mostly likely a factory recovery partition built in. On your post screen see if there is any assinged key to presh to get into options. If not try and F8 or look at the manual for the laptop. Speaking of F8, Boot the machine into safemode and see how that goes. You can then run antivirus and such from there if safemood is still working. You can choose safemode with networking to be allowed to connect to the internet. Well at least I think that option is available in vista, not sure if its there like xp, or if its only a certain versions of the os
    May 13, 2008 5:07:04 PM

I tried the Safe mode option, and the desktop was still blank. Actually, the words "safe mode" were on all four corners of the screen, along with some other writing. But it didn't improve anything. :o 

I put in the Windows Vista CD, and nothing happend. :o 

Thanks to all of you for the help BTW.
    May 13, 2008 5:12:08 PM

You have to have the Vista cd in at boot, and your BIOS has to be set up to boot from cd before boot from hard disk. Let us know if you have any questions as to how to do that.
    a b à CPUs
    May 13, 2008 5:14:50 PM

When you put in the Vista CD you have to make the machine boot from it. You mave to change the option in your bios if your machine doesnt ask you on your own if you want to boot from cd. Go into the bios and put the cd/dvd drive at the top of the list of boot priority. Then you will able to reinstall the operating system.
    May 13, 2008 5:35:08 PM

Would taking the whole thing back a few days do anything?
    May 13, 2008 5:43:03 PM

OMGZ! I took the whole thing back a few days and it worked! I can see my entire desktop again! Too good to be true. Nothing should backfire right?

Thanks to all of you! :pt1cable: 
    May 13, 2008 5:54:48 PM

player211 said:
    Ever since yesterday my computer has been functioning horribly. Whenever I turn it on, everything seems fine; no hiccups, no error messages, no slowness. I type in my password--and then the big problem arises. There is absolutely nothing on the desktop, excpet the arrow, which could still be moved. I could see that the screen is lighted, but it is blank. I've tried a few different things:

• When I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, the computer goes back to the previous page (you know, the one where I type in my password). I then went into Task manager, typed in explorer.exe, and the icons at the bottom of the screen appear very, very briefly, before disappearing again.
  • I tried starting the computer up in safe mode. When it gets to the page, in all four corners of the screen I can see the message 'safe mode.' But the screen is still blank, the arrow is still moveable, and the desktop icons are non-apparent.

The thing is however, when I type in an internet site using the 'New Task' option, the internet page comes up, and I have complete access to the internet. Likewise, all CD's and DVD's I put into the computer, play, and all documents come up.

Yesterday I downloaded two games. Both were unable to work. I was so upset (lol) that I went searching in their files for a possible problem. When I opened them, I not only saw unusual, weird code like messages, but also some weird riddles (something about the fox being able to jump...). I figured that this couldn't be the right files to open the games. Were these viruses? :o 

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? :( 
    Thanks in advance!

• I would boot the computer in safe mode (F8 in POST) then if windows loads, you 1.) know its a driver or a app trying to start preventing windows to load.. 2.) Run a systen restore to the last day you remember windows loading correctly. 3.) if step 2 fails you got to back up what you can then format and do a fresh install of windows format then installed.
    May 13, 2008 5:56:22 PM

player211 said:
    I have Windows Vista, and did I mention that it's a laptop? My brother keeps telling me that I can't format a laptop. Is this true?

NO, he a dumb ass
    May 13, 2008 5:58:42 PM

player211 said:
    OMGZ! I took the whole thing back a few days and it worked! I can see my entire desktop again! Too good to be true. Nothing should backfire right?

Thanks to all of you! :pt1cable: 

LOL! thats why its there! (System Restore)
    May 13, 2008 6:02:16 PM

ROFL! Simple as that.

Before the problem came, I downloaded Ares. Could that be what caused the problem? (how? IDK. But I know nothing about computers...)
    May 13, 2008 6:07:46 PM

player211 said:
    ROFL! Simple as that.

Before the problem came, I downloaded Ares. Could that be what caused the problem? (how? IDK. But I know nothing about computers...)

if that is the last app you installed before all this happen that could be it.
    a b à CPUs
    May 13, 2008 7:48:31 PM

That or, as previously mentioned, a virus. If the last thing you installed was a P2P then that also seems pretty likely to me.
    !