Sign in with
Your question

New PC - Very slow, strange problems!

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2008 5:03:39 PM

hi guys, hope someone can help. First off my pc has just recieved a new mobo, an Asus M2N-VM HDMI. Since i have had this board i have been experiencing strange performance problem, before i discuss my problem here are my specs:

cpu: AMD AM2 6000+
ram: 2GB Ram(not matched, 1gb each)
mobo: Asus M2N-VM HDMI
Gfx: 8800gt
psu: Omega 600w

Basically when ever the pc is put under stress it acts up. "Smooth" operation stops and everything becomes very "choppy" this is more apparent in any 3d app. It will run fine for a few seconds then runs at like 0-5 fps. Even something as simple as itunes visualizer will have the same effect.

I have some degree of knowledge for computers but now im completely clueless as to what is the prob, this is why:

• Thought Ram was at fault, tried a separate module, and slots - not fixed

• Then GFX - I removed my 8800gt and tried onboard gfx - not fixed

• Then PSU - removed my 600w psu and put in my 300w that originally came with the comp. - not fixed

• Then driver conflicts - tested on my other xp installation - didnt work

• I have also run Orthos Prime(stresses both cores), the cpu passed, also tested ram, ram passed

• I flashed the mobo to the latest version, the problems became worse so i flashed it back to original bios.

Another strange thing that happened was when my 8800gt was installed, the pc at bios level was very slow, navigating the bios took 1-2secs to change menus.

So i have tried everything that i can think of, yet the problem persists my last thought is that the motherboard is at fault, do you guys have any ideas?

ADMIN: Please move this thread if need be, im not too sure where to put this as the problem is not specific at this point.

thanks
    hitch24
  • More about : slow strange problems

a b V Motherboard
    June 6, 2008 6:00:33 PM

1. You have a cr@ppy PSU. I recommend you upgrade, esp. when running a 8800GT.

2. Did you do Windows repair install after swapping the motherboard?
    June 6, 2008 6:43:48 PM

Did you reinstall Windows after changing the motherboard?
    Related resources
    June 8, 2008 10:22:29 AM

hi guys, it turned out to be the cpu, the motherboard was also replaced just to be sure, im having none of the above mentioned issues but since i have recieved my pc back my 8800gt no longer initializes at boot, theres no signal, the fans stay at 100% and after a little while the pc switches to onboard gfx then boots. this is strange as i have never had this issue, i know the psu is adequate as it has worked fine before (if my memory serves me correct its running 34A of the 12V rails) and the motherboard is the same(same bios version etc) so it leads me to believe this card has died on me, what u huys think?
    a b V Motherboard
    June 8, 2008 3:52:33 PM

It's not the fact how many amps, watts,etc the PSU has it's the QUALITY of the PSU.
    June 8, 2008 5:24:13 PM

i know a number of guys running this psu with no problems, running systems requiring more draw than mine. besides i dont want to turn this into a debate about the quality of the psu i would just like some help on how to fix the issues im having.
    July 20, 2008 5:52:18 PM

hitch24 please contact me as soon as possible.
    i have the same problem as yours and i have almost the same setup on my second pc becides the gfx, mine is 8500GT
    December 18, 2008 3:27:48 PM

hi got pretty much the same problem..
    cpu=6000
    ram=4 gigs
    mobo= asus m2n-vm hdmi
    3d= 9800gt
    psu= a good 850 w!!

tried with vista 64 bits, bad idea so now back on xp.. i still got crap performance..
    in wow, while in vista my fps were low and goes up and down every where.
    in wow in xp, it is just slow! 8 fps!
    eve online in vista, fps ranges from 300 to 5 fps.. but it was mainly slower than faster fps.
    eve online in xp= 24 fps tops..

and basically the same problem as hitch24 in windows as well.. any ideas?
    !