Gagp30kx.sys - system hangs and endless boot loop in XP Pro

imadiamond

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
The computer hasn't been up and running since putting everything together from MadAdmiral and coldsleep's build recommendations. All is fine, processor, video card etc. The problem is I get stuck in an endless loop when Windows is loading: it stops on gagp30kx.sys. I've googled and read about this for months, trying everything, trying the memory in different slots, using my XP Professional cd to repair, running chkdsk, memtest86+ etc. Can't boot into safe mode, can't boot into last known configuration, just stalls on the gagp30kx.sys and then restarts.

The only thing I did was attach my same SATA hard drive to the new board/build. I tried a second SATA drive and both have the same error, probably because they were both used with the same old motherboard, which was a Via K8-M Neo-V. The previous video card was an ATI Sapphire x1650.

Thoughts? I'd like to actually USE the build that MadAdmiral and Coldsleep recommended.... The laptop has been helpful, but I'd really like to get back on the desktop.

I've read about all kinds of fixes from freeing up space on the computer to flashing the bios, but most of them seem like old wive's tales... the bios is fine, otherwise it wouldn't start to load the OS.

The last thing I did was hook up the drive as an external one to my laptop. Attempted to load the video card drivers for the new card since what I've read says that the gagp30kx.sys is a video driver.

Here's the build:

CPU: X3 440 $75
Mobo/GPU: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 and HD 5770 .
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $110

Headed to the store to get some new memory.... have read/heard that this might help...

lazyperson17

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
so, let me get this straight, you are moving a hard drive from an old computer (without reformatting it) to a completely new computer?

EDIT: forgot the second half :p

If you still have your original computer (old computer) try downloading the appropriate drivers for the new computer and try installing them. Then try moving it over and see if that works..

imadiamond

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I still have the old motherboard and graphics card. Installed the new build into the same case. Thanks for the idea! Any others that won't require stripping everything out?

imadiamond

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
lazyperson17: will try that suggestion, thanks for the link! also, it's a home build that was working perfectly for years; just had the issue after changing the motherboard and video card to a different one. the new build hasn't ever booted into XP yet on two different drives-- each with their own same XP OS-- that were connected to the prior system, so there is SOMETHING in there (the OS) that's causing this.

aford10: I did do that before, but wasn't *100%* sure, so redid the chkdsk /r again this morning. all went smoothly! restarted when it was done and still in the boot loop.