[HELP] building a computer mainly for gaming 1500-2000$ range

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
So I have around 1000-1500 euros (I live in europe) or 1500-2500 $ i think that is...
I want to build a desktop wich I am going to use for everything:
-surfing a lot
-gaming: WOW, assassins creed, GTA, swat, everything (downloading lots of games),
-use it as a server (my own game),
-for school stuff...

So I want it to be fast and good and powerfull and silent!
Can u help me?:
-the building itself will be fine but I don't know wich parts to choose!
-choosing or recommend me things? (some brand that is very good or so)
-I'm not good at the technical stuff about computers but I can learn, give me links to tutorials about what parts I need

IS THERE a guide where they tell you this stuff?:
Where to look at when buying a case
" " " " a motherboard
" " " " a processor
etc?? that would be IT

I want the best for my money that's all :p

Ow yea my OS is going to be windows Xp because I think vista suks, maybey in a year I'll switch to vista...

Thanx!

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
there a buyer guild on this web site at http://www.tomshardware.com/theme-buyer-s-guides,142.html

I'm a gamer I personally buy most expensive CPU and/or Video card I can afford then build the system around that.

if you got the money go with a 2-8core CPU (AMD or Intel) (Been useing Intel chips sine 1989 they never let me down)
and 2x 512mb+ Videos Cards SLI linked together. (ATI or Nivida)
the mobo must be SLI ready.
2-4GB of DDR2 RAM.
you need min of a 500W power supply for any gaming rig too. (I preff Thermaltake)
Best gameing OS: Win XP 64-bit (32-bit works too but 64 is better, specially if you have 4GB of RAM)

Note: If you go 64bit the CPU and mobo must support 64-bit!

you can get all the parts you need at (my fav website) http://www.newegg.com

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Now u talk about CPU and video card, I know what videocard is but what about CPU?
What parts should I put morem oney in?
What parts do what?

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Uh, newegg doesn't ship to europe. But you can use newegg as a reference. I do not live in the uk so I cannot recommend a good site to buy from. But newegg has pretty much all the accurate info you need.

Good luck!

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

look up ether.
Intel or AMD dual core CPU u can get for about $200-300 US.
Intel or AMD quad core CPU $400+ US.

Note: The LGA# and CPU type and brand of the CPU MUST match compatibly of the mobo.

Put your money into the CPU (The heart of your computer).

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

Dang and I always thought the CPU was the brains.

Are you also buying a monitor with your money as well?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

heart and brain w/e,I like to call the CPU the (heart) because it's job is to pump the info thou the computer, faster the heart faster the data (blood) flows. Even thou CPU dose allot more then just pump data.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Ok, but whats the difference between quad and dual core CPU?
So I have to spend alott on CPU and the motherboard because theyre pretty imporant parts?
So I find the parts on newegg and then I'll just find them in some shops nearby
Now can u help me choose the parts? (wich brands etc?)
I have 1500-2500$ to spend..

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
CPU = Brain
OS = Tongue
Power Supply = Heart
Fans = Sweat glands :p
Case = skin
;)

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
i've read the CPU buyers guide and I think not to take quad core? because not many programs can fully make use of it?
So I take a really good dual core??
Is that ok are what do you think?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008

I have a dual core and im happy with it, Handles games grate with a good video card.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
the CPU buyers guide tells me Ithe quad core isn't good yet because a lot of software doesn't support it yet??? is that the right conlusion?? and when I take a really good duo core instead of a quad it will be lot better... right?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/247939-10-buyers-guide-updated-2008

But when I look at neweggs CPU buyers guide it tells me for power-gamers a,d hi-end users they recommend Athlon 64 FX processors from AMD and the Core 2 Extreme from Intel (wich is quad core??)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CategoryIntelligenceArticle.aspx?articleId=256#topic1

So what do I do?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
go with qaud core with water cooling, I herd (dont quote me on this) a common problem with quad core is that they can get hot really easy and overheat faster then dual cores, but qaud cores 2x better then dual it is up to you man :) I would go with dule just to be safe unless u go with a water cool cpu then go quad. just my opinion.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

Not to be disrespectful, but you clearly do not know what you are talking about. Please do not offer advice unless you are certain of what you speak.

Quad core processors do not require water cooling at all. I have a fairly aggressive overclock on my q6600, and it is doing great with a heat sink fan on it. Also, it is not a good idea to build a computer around the processor and the video card. The motherboard is the most important part of a build.

vsdagama: Since you have a fairly good budget I think you should go quad core. Granted it may not be used completely now for gaming, but in the not too distant future it will be useful. Also, Windows Vista does utilize quad cores pretty well. Right now the q6600 is pretty much the best processor for the money right now, and for your budget in my opinion.

vsdagama

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
1 important question
when I look at quad cores they say like: 2.6 GHz
and a dual: 3.0 GHz so the dual is better??
or is it 4x2.6 versus 2x3.0?? so quad is better??