Which Intel i7 920 cpu cooler will fit in a htpc case?

Tijs67

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
I am looking for a CPU cooler for the Intel i7 920 with the EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 motherboard.
For practical reasons, I want to build my new system in a Silverstone LC17 HTPC case (height 17 cm).

So the CPU cooler may not be too high.

Any ideas for a well performing silent cooler?

Ps: overclocking is not my intention, maybe later.

My other spec’s:

Corsair 6GB DDR3 Tri-Channel
ATI Radeon HD 4850
2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
Samsung SH-S203D,

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm really confused why you are spending so much on a HTPC - usually these computers don't need to be the latest and greatest hardware.

An i7 build, especially so early in the cycle, is usually for performance machines.

Good luck finding your cooler. You might want to check

http://www.frostytech.com/

for some help.

Good luck.

G

yeah

waste of money on an HTPC

I built an extremely fast HTPC for 800$.... AND it has a 4 ghz processor in a lian li v350 case

so yeah... core i7 is TOTALLY not needed in the HTPC portion of computing yet or in the near future

Tijs67

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Ok, I didn't make it clear that my new pc is not for HTPC purposes.
It is a new pc for video editing. I am just looking for a horizontal case so that's why I was thinking of a HTPC case.
Just practical case-reasons.

amit213

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009

Did you find a good i7 heat sink cooler for your HTPC case? I am on a lookout for the same. Would be a great help to get your advise.

Thanks for help.

OK! I get it - a horizontal multi-purpose computer.

I want to do the same thing for my next project. At first I thought about HTPC cases but none of them were quite right. They're not designed for multi-purpose use. The closest thing I ever found was a CoolerMaster Elite 360 which can be used horizontally and could accomodate a full size ATX motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119195

Unfortunately space is still tight and the configuration is a bit awkward.

I decided there was only one thing to do. I am going to build my own horizontal desktop case from scratch. I've done case mods in the past and figured it can't be that difficult to build a case from scratch. I checked with a couple of technicians that install computer networks and high end audio visual equipment at the technology center where I work. Turns out the "frame" of the pc case is pretty simple. One of the techs offered to cut the pieces for the frame. He does it all the time for custom network systems. All I had to do was provide the overall dimensions. I can take care of the rest, including the panels. Doing it myself also allows me to try a slightly different approcah to ventilation, airflow, and cooling.

Well, that didn't answer the question. How about a stock Intel Core i7 cpu heatsink. I understand they are supposed to be pretty good. Would one of those fit in an HTPC case?