CrysisCore

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
I am going to build a new first desktop. I need help on the parts to buy.

Main:

1. Processor
2. Card Reader
3. Power Supply
4. Motherboard
5. Memory
6. Case
7. Monitor
8. Hard Drive
9. Optical Drive
10. Mouse
11. Keyboard
12. Thermal Compound/Grease
13. Cable Tie
12. Heatsink or Water Cool (If water cool, give me the parts that I need or kit)

It Is Gonna Be Used For: Gaming, Benchmarking, Overclock, Everyday Usage, School Work. Maybe Gonna Leave Computer 24/7 For Hosting. Programming & Photoshop when I learn.

Budget: $2000 and less. The lower the better.

Optional (This items are not included in the budget):

1. Printer
2. Router
3. UPS
4. Speakers
5. External Hard Drive
6. USB Flash Drive

Any missing parts, please inform me.

*Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista
*Hardware will be bought on May (after price drop).

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
The people around this forum give their own free time to help others, and yet you can't be bothered to do a little research for your own system? I'm more than happy to give input on someone's proposed build, but I get annoyed when people want everything given to them from scratch. But maybe that's just me...

I usually look up the cheapest places to buy parts, but I'm not going to even bother for you:

E8400
X38 mobo
3870x2
4GB of good overclockable 800 ram
Whatever case you like
PC P&C Silencer 610W
7200.11 HDD

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Start with this build, then change your processor and graphics card to cheaper ones. That'll give you the money to get your monitor, etc..

Do your homework on parts, and we'll make you a great build off of your ideas.

CrysisCore

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Processor: Core 2 Quad Q6700 or Q9450 (After Price Drop in April 20)? I think the Q6700 cz it will be around $100 less than the Q9450 after the price drop and it overclocks more. The Q9450 uses less power and it is cooler but I heard there was a wall for overclocking.

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=1035424340+103530113+4802&Description=7200.11&name=Top+Sellers
Worth to add 25$ to upgrade to a 750GB?

GPUs: Don't know if I should go with one single card or SLI/Crosfire? People say that one-single card is enough.

I also don't wanna go with DDR3 memory cz the extra cost is not worth it.

This questions will help me pick most of the parts.

This is what I have for now. Total: 200

Card Reader: SABRENT 65-in-1 Internal
DVD Burner: ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner LightScribe SATA
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Wired
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser
Thermal Compound/Grease: ARCTIC COOLING MX-2

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Go with single card. Get a P35 chipset motherboard.

Those HDD are decent choices. Look at a WD 640GB drive.

Find a case with a look you like, then pick a PSU from Corsair or PC Power & Cooling. A 550W supply will be enough if you pick a reliable brand.

Start there, and we'll see what you find.

CrysisCore

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Do I need to keep the box to step up? What would be the price I will need to put in the page? Original, after I save, or after I rebate price? Does the new card price come from here? http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp

9600GT ($150) or 8800GT ($160)
8800GTS ($220) or 9800GTX ($300)

*Prices are after rebate and eVGA lowest price models

What components/hardware/parts can be water cooled?

my current list:

Card Reader: SABRENT 65-in-1 Internal
DVD Burner: ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner LightScribe SATA
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Wired
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser
Thermal Compound/Grease: ARCTIC COOLING MX-2
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz

Printer: HP Officejet J6480 All-in-One Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier

litlrabi

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
For the EVGA step up program, I have no idea what you need to do.

Most things can be water cooled in your system, if you find the right adapter. I wouldn't worry about it, unless you want a big challenge right away. If you pick a case with nice airflow, and a good HSF, you don't need to worry about water cooling.

For the CPU cooling, check out http://www.frostytech.com. They have good information.

For your case, decide what is important to you. Do you want flashy looks (side window, LEDs etc), low noise, etc.

Next, decide if you are going to want to go SLI/Crossfire in the future, or will stick with a single card (my suggestion).

Decide if you want modular cabling on the PSU (keeps a cleaner case by reducing the number of poser cables inside) or not. Modular is more expensive.

Decide how big of a monitor you will want to use. The resolution you will be using is a big determiner of what kind of video card you'll need. Less resolution = higher end performance with a lower end card. I'm running at 1280x1024, and the Crysis demo ran at maxed out graphics (very high was unavailable for a choice) at perfectly smooth frame rates with a single 8800gts 512mb.

You've made some good choices already. You'll need a motherboard. If you want SLI you'll need an NVidia chipset, Crossfire will need a newer P35 or X38 chipset, single card can use any. For price/performance, I would say a P35 chipset.

Newegg is a great source to look at parts. Go to the Cases subsection and find ones you like. Then either ask advice here, or look in google for reviews of the cases you picked.