In Desperation to Understand

Prose

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
So, I have been to hell and back again to try to understand graphic card functioning and architecture.
I've picked up bits and pieces from forums, some guides and some explanations but nothing is complete.
I have sailed Google and have not found the treasure of knowledge.

That been said, I've learned some things.
I know a graphics card has a GPU, its own RAM and I guess and imagine a few other components much like a motherboard.

I also know that GPUs have their own several components. They have have several TMUs processors (texture mapping unit) to stick bitmaps on polygons. They also have several Pixelshaders to calculate light and color features of each pixel. I know there are other processors and such but I don't know what they do and from the ones I listed, I only know the vague description I gave and it would cool to know more. As far as memory goes, I am pretty clear on that, memory bus width and RAM memory seems pretty clear.

So, I guess, the point of this post is to ask for any links or explanations as to the architecture of the graphics card, the importante of it's components and the interdependence they have (so that I can for example understand who bottlenecks who or if 2GB of onboard RAM with a 128 bit memory width is insane or not). And lastly, how do I know what games uses what components (but this is a general question that I may answer myself once I learn all the basics in depth). So, what say you ? Any links ? Explanations? Analogies ? Insults ? Flames? Gimme attetion!

basketcase

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Study the VGA Charts on this website. Study the results, while looking up specs of each card. This isn't as indepth as you are talking about, but you should get a pretty decent idea of what works and what doesn't. Pay attention to things like, core speed, ram speed (DDR2 or DDR3?), ram bus width, ram size, shader units, etc...

Look up the 2900xt release. Many sites included the architecture of it, breaks it down, and elaborates as to what eachg section of the chip does, how its allocated, and even a few expectations.

Here are some links to get you started from there its quite easy to just run a web search on anything that comes up or failing that come back and ask some more.
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/1/14
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/reviews/16
Mactronix

Prose

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks everyone, it will give me starting some good reading and analyzing. Tom's Hardware Forum for the win !

TRENDING THREADS