Sign in with
Your question

How to pick out a Hard Drive?

Last response: in Storage
June 14, 2009 12:52:35 AM

Hey everybody. Long time reader, first time poster here.

Well, recently I got fed up with the lack of storage on my laptop. It wasnt enough for me, so I wanted to upgrade to one with a larger capacity. Now I know better than to pick just any old hard drive, so I decided to look up benchmarks. Unfortunately, thats where I'm stuck.

So my question is, what do I look for in an HDD? Should I look for I/O, Throughput, or access time? Any help at all is appreciated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2.5-hard-drive-chart...

I was looking at that, and it seems that the Seagate 7200.3 has the highest Throughput in read and write, but its I/O isnt as good as others. So how should I be selecting a drive out? It isnt going to be in a server environment, just a regular desktop.

More about : pick hard drive

June 15, 2009 1:44:01 AM

Wait, I thought you're looking for a new hard disk for your laptop, not a desktop? In any case, if it's for regular use, then pick a hard disk known for reliability. Speed is a secondary concern to making sure you suddenly won't lose your data (don't forget to backup regularly though!)

Based on what I've seen in the forums lately, people tend to go for Western Digital.
June 15, 2009 2:02:54 AM

Lavarin said:
Wait, I thought you're looking for a new hard disk for your laptop, not a desktop? In any case, if it's for regular use, then pick a hard disk known for reliability. Speed is a secondary concern to making sure you suddenly won't lose your data (don't forget to backup regularly though!)

Based on what I've seen in the forums lately, people tend to go for Western Digital.

Yeah, I was, sorry about that. I just meant for normal use.

Alright, I gotcha. Guess I'll go for the Scorpio in that case. Thanks!
!