GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H being unstable

iarufe

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Hello, I got a GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H about a month ago and installed it with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor and G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) memory. I know this isnt a power house but I basically wanted something to use as a media storage center and once in a while surf the net if I had to. It is up and running and is stable if I boot it with windows xp pro and use it just for storing media and accessing media such as my mp3's, movies and pictures. I am right now using it a lil bit with my DLP as a HTPC until i get my other PC complete. The problem I am having is that I am having random crashes, were the screen will scramble and restart the pc totally. I dont think it is a power supply but have a feeling that it could be my memory. Any Ideas, I dont have anything hooked up with it. Just 3 sata drive, a cd/dvd burner, keyboard and mouse. The cpu isnt getting hot, i have the case apart with all the fans going. Right now it is a shame because it does run very well when it isnt crashing.
Note, most crashes happen prob with in 30 min to a hours of using apps. but it will go days with its just sitting sending out data to other pc's

software installed
win zp pro sp2
ms office
winamp
divx
Nero 7
win media player
quicktime
itunes
cucusoft
Norton

thanks for any help

ian

thanks for any info

My GA-MA69GM-S2H was doing the exact same thing. It's the northbridge chipset overheating. The heatsink is too small so it won't block the PCIe-4X slot. You can try:

Improve case cooling.
Point a fan at the NB heatsink.
Install an aftermarket heatsink that is larger, but blocks the PCIe-4X slot.
Buy a discreet video card to take the video load off the chipset.

Hope this helps.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

rwpritchett is probably right.you can even put a fan on it,40mm should work.I went with a third party http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835116018 been useing 2 years,the fan went out after a year and I replaced the fan $4.00

iarufe

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
sweet thanks guys i never even thought of that, i went and touched it and it was hot right after it shut down. thanks guys im gonna give that 40mm fan a try

iarufe

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
hey put a fan on that NB and running cool to the touch. the other chip towards the front of the board is warm and it shut off again, think i should put a fan on that as well.