Sony Qualia 006 TV Reviewed

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 4, 2005 5:45:25 AM

From the August issue of AudioVideoRevolution.com...

Sony QUALIA 006 Rear Projection TV

Introduction

Have you ever imagined a television that made you really feel that the image
is a window on your world of programming, achieving the sort of drop dead
gorgeous quality that no one can look away from (unless the person just
doesn¹t care about TV or picture quality)? As someone who already owns two
Sony QUALIA 004 front projectors, I naturally had high hopes and
expectations when I decided to take the plunge and buy a QUALIA 006 rear
projector for another room in my lab/home. The first of these expectations
included an exceptionally sharp picture (even by comparison to 35mm film
projected at the same size), as befits Sony¹s new SXRD 1920 x 1080p
three-chip reflective LCos technology. Another was outlandish light output
(I measured 90 foot-lamberts with the bulb in the low mode and a contrast
ratio of over 3000:1!). Finally, fantastic styling (like a Cartier Watch),
as well as a wealth of the usual inputs, including two HDMI (one with
separate L/R audio inputs) and two 1394 firewire four-pin (front and back),
suitable for use with most camcorders, still cameras and video
HDCP-compliant devices like Sony laptops and certain DVD players.

The Sony QUALIA 006 delivers on all of these expectations and much, much
more in abundance. This massive and expensive 70-inch diagonal rear
projector (MSRP $13,000) weighs in at 285 pounds and truly demands the
recommended stand ($1,500). The character of the set is stunning. Its silver
polished aluminum and plastic casing commands attention in any room. This is
a great thing, because it looks like modern-day sculpture, something that
would be at home at the Cooper-Hewitt or Museum of Modern Art. Yet when you
turn this television on, its picture completely dwarfs its architecture,
offering up an incredibly lifelike image that has to be seen to be believed.

Because this piece is a QUALIA it uses Sony¹s proprietary reflective LCos
technology (SXRD). This is similar to what JVC has created for its D-ILA
projectors, but the two technologies look completely different. In
comparisons I have made repeatedly, here in my lab and at customer¹s homes,
the SXRD is capable of resolving much more color information without looking
the slightest bit unnatural. This undoubtedly is due in part to Sony¹s
choice of a 200-watt UHP bulb, which has a life span that potentially could
extend beyond 2000 hours (user replacement cost $300). There is also Sony¹s
choice of color primaries, which define the size and accuracy of the color
reproduction triangle. This, in combination with the bulb¹s fairly neutral
spectral response, allows this projector to recreate photographic realism in
your home theater with aplomb and to your delight.

Read the full review at:
http://www.avrev.com/equip/sonyqualia006/
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:24:14 AM

"Naitze Teng" <naitze@audiorevolution.com> wrote in message
> From the August issue of AudioVideoRevolution.com...
>
> Sony QUALIA 006 Rear Projection TV
>
> Introduction

<...>

I just took delivery of this set, all 124KG (273 pounds) of it.
Wow, I have never seen HD like this. I am still viewing Sat HD via
component as I don't yet have a HDMI cable, but still it is
something else.

Guess I'm needing recommendations on a DVD with HDMI or DVI out.
Under $600.

Audio system is Martin-Logan CLII, Morel Duets (Center & rear), JBL dual 18"
2245 sub.

-
RZ
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:46:04 AM

> I just took delivery of this set, all 124KG (273 pounds) of it.
> Wow, I have never seen HD like this. I am still viewing Sat HD via
> component as I don't yet have a HDMI cable, but still it is
> something else.
>
> Guess I'm needing recommendations on a DVD with HDMI or DVI out.
> Under $600.

HD-DVD? Available? Standards stable?
August 5, 2005 3:26:24 PM

"The first of these expectations
included an exceptionally sharp picture (even by comparison to 35mm
film
projected at the same size), "

Please!!!! better than 35mm ,no way it hell! Sure its a nice tv.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:45:23 PM

PNeski@aol.com wrote:
> "The first of these expectations
> included an exceptionally sharp picture (even by comparison to 35mm
> film
> projected at the same size), "
>
> Please!!!! better than 35mm ,no way it hell! Sure its a nice tv.

Well, Sharpness is about the opposite of resolution. Imagine a black and
white LCD display. Each pixel will be very sharply defined by its edges,
but an array of 4 pixels by 3 pixels wouldn't be a very good TV. The
higher the resolution relative to the screen size, the softer the image
can be made to be. 35mm film is essentially an analog medium but because
of its excellent resolution, it doesn't have to be exposed in a way that
results in a sharp image. There are any number of movies that prove this
point.

--
Matthew

Which one do you want?
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:54:24 AM

<PNeski@aol.com> wrote in message
> "The first of these expectations
> included an exceptionally sharp picture (even by comparison to 35mm
> film
> projected at the same size), "
>
> Please!!!! better than 35mm ,no way it hell! Sure its a nice tv.

Once you see this set in person, you may change your tune.
August 6, 2005 3:24:35 AM

"rz" wrote
> I just took delivery of this set, all 124KG (273 pounds) of it.

I am not envious by nature but... lucky you!
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 11:15:45 AM

No I saw it when it came out,and I see it every time I go to the sony
store,Its a fine set
But I also have been to good theatres seeing some super prints,
and HD as good as it is now,is nothing compared to a good 35mm print

That isn't taste,if the facts film can be blown up far bigger than
60inch,This sony set is super
but its not even 1080p talk to me when it has 4000 scan lines
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 12:46:53 PM

rz wrote:
> <PNeski@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>>"The first of these expectations
>>included an exceptionally sharp picture (even by comparison to 35mm
>>film
>>projected at the same size), "
>>
>>Please!!!! better than 35mm ,no way it hell! Sure its a nice tv.
>

> Once you see this set in person,

I have.

> you may change your tune.

No. It's not even close.

Matthew
August 6, 2005 3:54:18 PM

RicSeyler <ricseyler@SPAMgulf.net> wrote:

>There is a very very good upsampling DVD player out for around $300.00
>but the Brand escapes me at the moment, That's real helpful huh... LOLOL
>
>It's not a Sony, Panny, Pioneer, Denon, etc.... dang I'm getting frikkin
>old. :-)
>Someone will chime in with the brand and I'll confirm ......

Perhaps thi one?
Oppo Digital - OPDV971H

Jim
!