RAM selection? and timings?

Physicz

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
ok well i just finished building a new computer, its really good and was insanely cheap it only cost me $900 which suprised the living daylights out of me because i thought it was going to cost me something like $1400
then again... it was my friends comp who only had it for a month and used it like 3 times only at a LAN party

ok well it has these things

Intel Quad Qx9450

not really sure about the motherboard, i'll need to check that, but its a P series chipset from gigabyte so its either one of these.

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2850
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2588

it has 2gbs of some kind of cheap value select RAM which is BAD

2 i think its seagate? 7200.11 500gb hard drives
dual booting Vista ultimate x64
and windows XP professional x64

i think this case sucks but it does look nice,
Apevia X-discovery

Antec Earthwatts 650

a Cooler Master Hyper tx2 with that artic silver 5 thermal paste

sorry im not very good on remembering part names :pt1cable:

and an 8800GTS G92 with 512 mb

i bought it cuz, its a slight future proof cpu but i will upgrade the GPU once the prices for the new cards from Nvidia and ATI come out, depending on which is better for my purposes which is high render photoshopping, playing a little cs (cal-m baby :D) and movie making/editing. what it has installed already is all the 3dmarks, all the pcmarks this guys was a futuremark freak srsly :lol:

i do also have really nice cd-drives and dvd-drives from reading other posts about what you guys recommended for them, so i bought them and took the crappy sony ones out. so thank you people for all who recommened i think its panasonic drives? idk im not smart :pt1cable: ALSO EVERYONE said something about this badass 19 in moniter which i bought, and love it so ty for that too :D

NOT THE POINT THOUGH

what i have as a real question is whats the difference between memory timing

i want to purchase a set of crucial ballistix memory, in a 2gb set but there are three varients
one has a 3-3-3-12 timing, the next has a 4-4-4-12 timing and the last one has a 5-5-5-15 timing

so which one should i buy? the 3-3-3 and the 4-4-4 are the same price but the 5-5-5-12 it 20$ more.
im assuming its better, but i thought the lower the timing the better?

help :ouch:

Thanks alot! ~~~ Vidya

Commander_Keen

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
i dont think the mobo is a p45 as it is my understanding theat they wont be released until later this month
as for your mem question lower timing are better, but i would go with the 4-4-4-12 as i think the only mem with 3-3-3-12 is pc2 5400 which with that cpu wouldnt be too good

TRENDING THREADS