I've just built a new PC, with the following spec,

ASUS M2N-X Plus GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 6 channel audio ATX Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Socket AM2
4GB DDR2 667MHz/PC2-5400
XFX 8600GT 256MB DDR3 XXX edition Dual DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache
Casecom Silver 500W ATX Power Supply - 20+4pin ATX12V 4x Molex
XP Professional

But when i play any game COD4, UT3, Crysis, etc. It starts off with good frame rate, on UT3 i get 62 FPS, but every 40-50 seconds the frame rates drops to about 2-3 for a few seconds then goes back up to 40-50, if i put all the graphic settings on low it still happens. I think i have a hardware problem but not sure??

If i set the affinity for all the windows apps to CPU 0 and the game to CPU 1 it still does it but not as often.

Please Help.

More about : problem running games home built

April 15, 2008 9:32:40 PM

First check to see if you have a program running that's taking up CPU time. With the computer idling, go to the task manager and see if you have any spikes in your CPU usage, also check how much memory your system is using, you might have something hogging resources. You should also check for updated drivers.

My guess is that its a software problem. If you find something in task manager, try to locate the offending program and stop its process and see if that fixes the problem.
April 16, 2008 11:20:48 AM

Also take a look at your event viewer for errors occuring about the same time when the pc slowed down. Then google the event id.

Try clearing cmos as well.

If you installed nvidia firewall or ntune, uninstall them & restart.
Related resources
April 17, 2008 9:40:52 AM

Thanks for your reply's, I've checked everything and everything looks ok, nothing taking all the CPU or Memory.

I've also put Vista on - and i still get the same problem.

Any other ideas?? :-(
a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2008 11:48:24 AM

Check again. This looks like a software problem indeed. Something is running in the background, like your antivirus, disk defragmenter, windows update, windows restore feature, I don't know, but something is. Disable your internet connection, check again and see what is running when the slow-down occurs.
April 17, 2008 11:59:59 AM

In my exp, nvidia firewall caused no internet or random craps like slowdowns. From what I've read, ntune won't pose a problem until months into use.
!