Components needed to finish watercooling

Slughammer

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I just purchased a i7, Gigabyte GA-EX58-Exteme LGA Intel X58 MoBo, and Zalman Reserator XT (Reservoir+Radiator+WaterPump). I was wondering what else I need to complete my watercooling setup. I know I need an adapter, Intel socket for the i7 and was looking at Koolance stuff. What do I need for my MoBo if anything? Do people water cool the videocards as well (2x 4870x2pe52g)? Are there any other attachments or anything else I will need? I would like to get everything from one place if possible. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
I watercool both of my 4870's doing so cut the temps down to 32c at idle and they only climb to 40c while gaming. Using the stock heatsink fan combos that came on the cards showed 55c at idle and 82c while gaming.
Not only did the temp drop but there is none of the noise from the factory fans. But it doesn't come cheap. If you have the money you can watercool everything on the board from CPU to chipset, memory, video cards and hard drives if you want. If you want to see what some have done check this link out:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70

There check out the thread Water Cooled Case Gallery

marybernard

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I just purchased a i7, Gigabyte GA-EX58-Exteme LGA Intel X58 MoBo, and Zalman Reserator XT ...... I was wondering what else I need to complete my watercooling setup. I know I need an adapter, Intel socket for the i7 and was looking at Koolance stuff. What do I need for my MoBo if anything? Do people water cool the videocards as well (2x 4870x2pe52g)

I'd be very interested to hear what you've done about this. I've just got an i7, Asus Deluxe mobo, and 1 4870, for Photoshop not gaming. I want to get a Zalman case and the Reserator XT, but this is my first computer build and I don't know how to connect the Reserator waterblock to the cpu, since Zalman haven't yet produced a mounting bracket for LGA 1366. I'd also like to know how to watercool my 4870!

Thanks - Mary

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You could find a waterblock that fits the 4870 and get the appropriate sized fittings for the rest of your tubing size. I think there is a common misconception with beginners that all your components must be from the same manufacturer; as long as it works, it works.

marybernard

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at 4870 blocks from Swiftech and EK. Expensive! Oh well.

Could I mix n' match with the CPU block too?...it doesn't make economic sense, since the Reserator has its own cpu waterblock, but if it doesn't fit, and I've got the machine all built and just begging to be used, it might be the way to go.

Mary

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yeah you could, but its a good idea to make sure everything you use (waterblocks, rads, etc) is all copper and not a mix of metals or you could run into some galvanization/corrosion. If the tubing fits and the pump pushes it, it will work.

marybernard

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
You know, I thought I'd answered this, but the message must have vaporized. Just to say thanks, and I'll look out for multi-metallism when I order!