Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent "Hardware malfunction" and freezing with SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2008 8:44:36 AM

I’m having some freezing and “Hardware Malfunction” BSoD issues.

I recently build my first PC and most everything is running beautifully. *pats self on the back* However, ever since I enabled SLI, I’ve been having intermittent problems. I’ve never really put a load on the system, but I don’t think the issue is based on load—I’m had problems with BSoD while working with MSWord and other simple tasks…or doing no tasks at all when the system’s idle. Other symptoms include intermittent freezing (although not a crash requiring a restart like the BSoD). More like a stutter I suppose. For example, when use the Nvidia system monitor, when I change to a different component, as it swings around it freezes while the sound skips (“DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD”) for a few seconds and resumes the function.

I know this post is atechnical, but I’m not sure how else to describe what’s going on. Can anyone give me any ideas as to what the problem is? Is this a known problem?

Thanks,
Gary K.
April 24, 2008 9:38:48 AM

What kind of power supply do you have? And post the rest of your specs also...
April 24, 2008 1:13:40 PM

Here's my specs:

Intel Q6600 Core 2 Quad

nForce 780i SLI mobo

x2 GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb GPUs

x2 Seagate 500gb SATA HDDs

Rosewill 850W PSU

4gb Corsair 6400C5DHX RAM

Koolance Exos2 750 Cooler

Asus DRW-1814BLT

Lite-on DVD-RW OEM

Related resources
April 24, 2008 1:33:26 PM

Rosewill makes crap PSUs. Possible suspect.
a c 271 U Graphics card
April 24, 2008 5:45:14 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Rosewill makes crap PSUs. Probable suspect.

Sorry but I had to. :lol: 
April 25, 2008 7:01:35 AM

This particular one had a very good rating on NewEgg though. It had 72% excellent rating (44 of 61 votes); 53 of 61 were good or above. I had heard that this one was an exception to the Rosewill rule.

Regardless, how can I tell if it is indeed the PSU? Would it cause the skipping? It wasn't as if there was a strain on the PC. The issue seems pretty random.

Here's the exact model:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...
April 25, 2008 7:11:46 AM

What's your OS? Vista? XP?
And have you installed the latest nVidia drivers?
May 2, 2008 8:49:50 AM

Sorry for the delay.

I'm using Vista 64bit.

Yes, I'm using the latest drivers.
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2008 9:04:47 AM

Start by disconnecting first one gpu, and if it doesnt get better, both. Theyre gonna draw some power.
!