New build, please help

atulb

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
Hey, this is the first time i have build a desktop computer. I am using the following components:

CPU: Intel QX6850
Motherboard: Asus P5E http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&amp...amp;modelmenu=2
RAM: OCZ Gold XTC OCZ2G8004GK 2X2G DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel
PSU: OCZ 600W Stealth XStream Power Supply - OCZ600SXS
Video Card: Galaxy GeForce 9600GT 512MB
Cooling: Thermaltake Aquarius III water cooling

Basically I started out with mounting the Motherboard and installing the Cooling system. I used thermal paste on my CPU to increase the affect of the cooling. I then installed the memory stick, DVD writer, HDD and the Video Card. When i power on my PC, i see no video display at all. However, all components of the PC correctly power up.

Another problem i noticed, is that my CPU is heating up very fast (it may be the thermal paste). However, i think due to incorrect cooling, the CPU is not able to dissipate the heat as a normal water cooler would have it. The motherboard then shut off automatically. This all happens within 1 minute of booting. This may also be due to incorrect thermal paste application. However, even if i remove the CPU completely the main problem i still have is, that there is no display output. I cannot figure out where the problem lies. i have read the motherboard manual and PSU manual to ensure that all power PIN outs are correct. Additionally. i have reconnected the Video Card. How can i narrow down to the cause of the problem.

At this time, i have no other video cards to test and find out if that is the problem. I don't think its the mobo, but could be. All components are powered on, including the video card. Please help me.

Update: I have tired different display monitors, so it is definitely not the monitor. Please help, as i need to return the faulty component within 3 days

mi1ez

Splendid
The CPU and cooler should really be mounted outside of the case, that way it's easier to ensure a good fit. Check you only have the tiniest amount of thermal paste (in terms of thickness) and that it covers the majority of the heat spreader.

When your monitor is turned on and NOT CONNECTED, does it display a screensaver, self test, or anything. If it does, is this still displayed when connected to the PC and the PC is turned on?

I had this only yesterday, nothing at all displayed on the monitor to a PC, however it knew it was connected to a PC that was turned on (went to standby as opposed to the self test). turned out that the mobo has died, something in the "memory subsystem"

ryanthesav

Distinguished
May 27, 2007
I dont think you have ur cpu seated correctly. Even if the cooling unit is in the case, it should not get hot enough to turn off...Especially if its a water cooler. Try reseating ur cpu and make sure ur cooling unit is working correctly. At stock ur cpu should not go above 40c at idle. If it does, something is wrong...unless ur house is about 104 degrees Fahrenheit. Have fun. :)

atulb

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I am using the thermal paste that came with the Aquarious III, it is silicon compound. It is the exact same one shown in this video: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/7...l-compound.htm

Going forward, i have tired using a fan and it allows the computer to stay on longer before its shut off (with CPU overheating and auto shut off). But to my knowledge of working with older processors, the CPU should not become boiling hot within 1 min of booting (its will actually shut off within 30 secs). I am leaning towards faulty mobo. Additionally, i read somewhere where someone contact Asus support and according to them, you can short post without CPU.

Also I am confused about the ATX 12V connector, it has 8 PINs, however my PSU has 2 - 4 PIN connectors and it appears that my computer will boot with either of the 4 PINS inserted or even both. I have gone back to only using one 4 PIN connector to avoid damage to the CPU.

Additionally, i am only using 1 stick of ram in the A1 slot. As far as i know that OCZ ram is compatible, however it is not listed in the manual as one of the supported rams. But since it is, DDR2 800 DIMM i dont think it is the ram problem.

I have taken the motherboard out of the box completely, and just connected video card, ram and CPU (and without CPU) and still not getting any video.

To mi1ez : My display monitor states that there is no video input, it will keep flashing on the screen.

To ryanthesav: I absolutely agree with you. I have attempted to reseat the CPU various times to ensure but still no luck

I am gonna desperately try and get a hold of another video card to narrow the problem. I am still wondering if i will have any sort of video output without the CPU because i cannot get another CPU to test and this is making it impossible to determine the problem. If anyone has insight into this problem, i will really appreciate your help.