Sign in with
Your question

PC no longer turns on - motherboard short out??

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2008 4:17:06 AM

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard and my system no longer turns on at all. The power button lights up and the fans start spinning for a second and then immediately shuts off. So I figured ok, maybe the power supply died.

I went out and bought a replacement but it is still doing the same thing. I replaced the CMOS battery too for the heck of it knowing it was a long shot. It seems like my issue must be with the motherboard but possibly the CPU.

This machine is only a few months old. Any other trouble shooting ideas I could do to try and isolate the problem? I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of replacing the motherboard or CPU if it may not be necessary.

One other thing, when replacing the power supply I forgot to connect the 4-pin 12v power connector near the CPU. It turns on in this case but the fans are just spinning and nothing boots. As soon as I connect the 12v 4-pin cpu power connector and try to turn it on again, it goes back to lighting up for a second and immediately shutting off.

Any ideas?
May 5, 2009 11:04:00 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem, was this ever fixed?

I've tried;
running with different RAM (known to be working) in a variety of slots
different graphics card known to be working
different CPU (also tried CPU i'm using in another machine, booted fine)
Different PSU, same problem
running on a cardboard box to ensure it isn't shorting on the case
minimal components
Taking out CMOS battery and putting back in

Is the motherboard dead? System been up and running about 8 months previously.
May 31, 2011 6:06:39 AM

tredsaw said:
I know this is an old thread, but I have exactly the same problem, was this ever fixed?

I've tried;
running with different RAM (known to be working) in a variety of slots
different graphics card known to be working
different CPU (also tried CPU i'm using in another machine, booted fine)
Different PSU, same problem
running on a cardboard box to ensure it isn't shorting on the case
minimal components
Taking out CMOS battery and putting back in

Is the motherboard dead? System been up and running about 8 months previously.

I have the same problem too. Same mb. This started happening when the build was relatively new, after replacing a gfx card it wouldn't post. I pinpointed it to the case and the board shorting, because I was able to get it running on a cardboard box.

This then started to happen consistently, I had to have to keep my case open so I could wiggle my mb to get it to boot when it would fail.

Today, I replaced a gfx card, and it happened. After many wiggled it wouldn't boot. After a number of attempts to solve it, my mb is sitting on a cardboard box, one stick of ram, one HD etc.... And now it won't post at all.

I've checked briefly for shorts but nothing apparent.

Did either of you two solve this?
May 31, 2011 7:17:23 AM

Probably not what you want to hear but I bit the bullet and replaced the motherboard.
!