Problem with my 8800 Ultra. HELP!!

scurvy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Hey guys,

Iam very new to high end graphics cards. but last year I got meself a kickass gaming rig with an Asus 8800 ultra. Everything was fine with it but I did notice the GPU temps were skyrocketing- upto 90C sometimes. To counter this I added lots of exhaust fans, intake fans, and a slot cooler to my case.

My problem is that even though the fan on the Ultra is working perfectly there is no exhaust wind coming out the back grill. Since I don't know much about these heatsink fans I just wanna find out if this is normal or maybe somethings blocking the air passage.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mahesh.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
You can unscrew the metal covering to look if anything is on the heatsink, otherwise I would reccomend getting ntune, or Riva Tuner so you can change your fan speed. High temps are a given with 8800 cards, I have an 8800 GT which I moved the fans from 29% default to ~60% for temps below 70 when under load.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Your 8800gt use a single slot cooler, and are notorious for heat problems. The ultra use dual slot cooler, and shouldn't run so hot. My oced 8800gts does not break 60 degree barrier under any load. Although that may partly have to do with the g92 core. But yeah, it's probably clogged, take a look.

Rivatuner fan control guide:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/

G

90C is a little high for G80, but not unreasonably high. Those temps would make me nervous with such an expensive card, but aren't out of the ordinary.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
my 8800gtx and your ultra probably have close to the same cooler. When it has ramped up the speed, you can definitely feel the hot air coming out the back, so I'd say there is dust or something clogging the heatsink. Load temperatures of around 80 are normal for these cards, but 90 is a little high. You can try some canned air, or maybe just blowing really hard to see if a bunch of dust comes out. just don't spit on your card and then plug it in. if you still can't feel any air coming out when the fan is at 70% or more, you might have to take the heatsink off and perform some surgery.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Those gpus are rated at up to 100 degrees C. But you'll notice artifacts long before then. My g92 8800gts@780mhz never breach 60 degrees on any load, while fan never go above 50%. You shouldn't do that poorly, something is wrong.