Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Cosmos S

Votes: 12 92.3%

• Total voters

gallinazo

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Ok people, heres the question.
I want, pretend to build a new rig soon, but I have not decided with wich case to go yet.
So I want you to vote on which to get.
I expect to build a powerful machine, and I want the case to accomodate all the hardware, easy manipulation and installation, functionality and last but not least aesthetics.
I wanted to get a great cpu, but with the damn prices over $1000 for a quad running at 3.0 ghz, it seems I'll be forced to overclock (first attempt) so Im contemplating watercooling, maybe the thermaltake's bigwater or something from cooler master, still I want space for some optic drives, Want a raid1 set up, and Im expecting the release of the hd4870(x2) to compare with nvidias and get it going. But first, I need a case.
So, thats it people, VOTE.

1 vote for the cosmos!

On a side note: You dont need to water cool to get to 3.0ghz with almost any intel cpu, the q6600 can get to 3.0 with just the stock cooler and no voltage increase!

Also dont forget to overlook lian-li cases!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I hate all three of those cases, thermaltake has quality control issues and I do not like the cooling any of those cases offers, thats my opinion. The Cosmos S is the best out of the three, however, despite it's still lacking cooling, poor design, and general lack of an acceptable amount of quality.

gallinazo

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Thanks for sharing your opinions people.
But, can you guys tell me why you dislike some (all) the cases?
What are the quality isssues of thermaltake?
Why you dont like em?
Whats the cooling/design problem with the cosmos s?

So far I dont see much problems, but then again, I want your opinions to pick the best of the 3.
The cosmos looks fine overall, perhaps a lil generic on the lookwise, but, seems to have good cooling and lot of space, my only concern with it is the placement of the psu, I thinks that characteristic of the cosmos series is weird, but......
C'mmon people, keep voting, I cant believe so few people is willing to help or vote.

bushmastertd

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
from personal experience i have had very good luck with the XCLIO Windtunnel cases. Alot of people dont like them but they have plenty of room, awesome cooling, and they are a breeze to work with.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thermaltake generally relies too much on plastic and a flawed tool-less design, and to make things even worse their quality control is almost non-existent. Asus cases are made by various small companies and are then priced up, like Eagle or In-Win, and the model you suggested has bad cooling and just plain looks terrible. Coolermaster cases are generally excellent, but the Cosmos case was a line of silent cases and never intended to be much else. However, the general demand was for much improved cooling was overwhelming, so CM produced the Cosmos 1010, which did not help, and later the Cosmos 1100 or Cosmos S, which only helps a little bit. The problem with the Cosmos S is that it still does not have good cooling since CM kept the basic case and just added fans, while the main problem was the actual design of the Cosmos series. This and the reported problems of very flimsy side panels that frequently fall off, or become loose with very little or virtually no contact, makes the Cosmos S still not a good case. I agree with bushmastertd, the XCLIO Windtunnel Advanced case is one of the best I've ever worked with, it is roomy and has excellent cooling. The Coolermaster 690 is a phenomenal case with good cooling, design, and at a very reasonable price. If you are not too worried about price the Lian-Li PC-70 case is the absolute best case I have ever seen, heard about, or worked with. It offers amazing cooling, great design, very easy installation, a dual power supply option, light weight, extremely roomy, and is made by Lian-Li who produces what most consider to be the best in quality of computer cases. Silverstone is another manufacturer that produces high quality computer cases like Lian-Li, though not of the same quality and usually with disappointing cooling for the price.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
What a complete load of bullshiot. I actually own a Cosmos S case. It will support ATX extended, has 3 topmount for fans and a radiator slot with holes and gromets for piping in the back. The psu is a bottom mount and even with my x48t-dq6 board in it, it still looks empty!!! The side has a massive fan on it that acts like a great mobo/ram cooler etc. Its a sleek looking case that is quality, go have a look at one in person. It's tooless too which makes it great for enthusiuasts, has handles which make moving it around alot easier. Have a look at the cases in person, I think when you do the Cosmos S will stand out easy. As for side panels falling off etc what a load of crap, I put mine into boxes etc etc move it around and its never fallen off once, when you go to the shop shake it around I bet nothing comes off. The crap some people say in a forum, unreal.

snow naval

Distinguished
May 18, 2008
None of the above cases. If youre wanting a plain case, try the i-Cute, which is what i use. the back fan has LEDs, Neon Cathodes Optional.
But yeah, its always really cool inside my PC as it is a really well insulated case.
As you can tell, or maybe not, I spent sometime building this PC, as if you look carefully, you can see that inside the case, there is not one wire insight ;]

MatthewLeak.jpg

If youre wanting the "cool" look, (really depending on how much you are wanting to spend, as these are quite pricey) take a look at the NZXT LEXA cases.. As far as i know they come in Black & Red, Black & Blue and alleminium. I dont think Cathodes are suppled with the case, Im not sure though.

lexablackred.jpg

Or if you wanna save space, go for the Micro atx Black Cube Case, i am thinking of moving my PC into that one, but no time soon. As i imagine the PC easily overheating.

CNPSQUCPUCUBEBK.jpg

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

The Cosmos S case that I own has loose side panels, so no, it is not a "a complete load of bullshiot". Also look on Newegg under the user reviews it is a problem many people have with this case and I did not believe it, because I am a Cooler Master fan. Also I never said it was not roomy, that is apparent by the actual size of it. The cooling IS a disappointment, because the stock fans are not very good and there is way too much air going into the case and not enough going out, severe positive pressure, this leads to air getting stuck in the case and heating up, creating hot spots. Thanks to this it still can not match an Antec 900, thermaltake Armor, or a Cooler Master 690 in cooling performance, all cases that cost less, and is loud and expensive to replace all of the fans. I am glad you like yours, and after some modding I like mine, but your opinion does not discredit mine and neither does my opinion discredit yours. The bottom line with the Cosmos S is that it is not a bad case, it is the one I recommended out of the three without hesitation, but it is disappointing compared to cheaper cases and Cooler Master's usually outstanding quality, and that is my opinion. Looking at it now in person, I can honestly say it is a nice looking case, if a bit obnoxious, and I can say that it is the perfect case for my LAN party needs. The only unreal part about this thread is the hate and venom you displayed because you did not like my opinion, please get something better to do than insult people on forums.

gallinazo

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
:hello: ok, Hi again people, thanks for your input. Im still waiting for more and more comments and suggestions.
You said the Xaser and the cosmos have poor design and dont have great coolin systems, How's that?
I mean, they seem to have plenty of fans for intake and more for outake.
What are the flaws on the design of the Xaser? Can you give more info about the flaws in the cosmos? Admitedly, I have checked just a few sites with reviews of these cases, but they all seem to be overall very positive.
And how do they compare to the NZXT LEXA and i-cute mentioned by snow naval (thanks for your input sn :sol: ) I would liek to know. So please, keep posting your opinions and suggestions.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Thing about major site reviews is that they very rarely spend enough time with a case to get the full idea of its pros/cons. The Cosmos S is easily the best out of the three, it just has some problems that are not typical of Cooler Master. The Xaser is reported as a rather bland case with bland cooling, and seeing it in person once at a local Fry's, it is very ugly. The NZXT LEXA seems ok but, has design flaws like sharp edges. You should also look at the Cooler Master 830/831/832 case, that is a great case that will truly display the quality of Cooler Master's prowless.

gallinazo

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Thanks Blood_Raven, you have been a great help with my inquiry, let me ask you (and everybody else) a few more questions.
So far the Cosmos is the 1 that winning the poll. I would like to know....Is there some trouble or advantage at having the psu at the bottom?
I mean not only the cosmos series but some of the cases snow naval posted also have that feature.
Now, if I remeber correctly, in this planet at least, heat travels upwards; so....wouldn't the heat from the psu be running right to the pci cards?
No, really, I want to know whats the advantge of having the psu at the bottom, cause, as I said the cosmos is not the only case with that feature.

Hope you guys can reply soon.
Thanks in advance.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Well...

Bottom mounted PSU

Pros:
-PSU is cooler
-can lay extra wires on bottom of case
-much stabler for cheaper cases being moved
-Allows fans to be positioned directly on top of the CPU area

Cons:
-exhausts air from bottom, meaning hurts total system cooling
-worse cable layout, mainly the 4/8 pin CPU connection
-Makes installing or reinstalling a motherboard a pain in the...
-GPU/s suck up hot air from PSU, or not enough air from the PSU exhausting that cool air down there.

Top Mounted PSU

Pros:
-Exhausts hot air up top helping in cooling the entire system
-better cable routing
-Does not interfer with GPU/s cooling
-Does not impede general air flow

Cons:
-If not modular or if cases does not have a way to route extra cables down the back it can get cluttered quick, but a simple Dremelling job fixes this.
-Blocks CPU cooler from pushing air upwards.
-Harder to install the PSU

Thats all I can think of, feel free to add things.