kingeek

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I have installed 4x 800 A-Data 5-5-5-18 2GB (AD2800002GOU) modules on my Intel DP965LT. (The 1GB modules were listed in Intel's validation results, so I figured it would be ok.)

I read '1 Gb memory technology is not supported on DDR2-800 DIMMs' several times in the manual and still managed to forget about it while ordering. The system works fine however, i have 8124 megabytes physical memory in vista sp1 x64. Just to be safe however I have for now set the memory speed to 677, but it worked fine on 800.

I have read several forums/threads about the problem I have: the boot is terribly slow (say 3:30 minutes.)

I now have several questions:

Should I be worried? Should I bring the memory back and get 677's? Or is it ok and can the slow boot be fixed, and is it even related to the 800 memory? Why do intel say they don't support it, but it still works fine? Is running the memory at 800 safe? Or are the modules perhaps not 1GB technology, for this information I cannot find anywhere.

If anyone can answer any of my questions or explain, thank you very much in advance!

PoPoH

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hi!

I think could be something to do with drivers...

I've been working with Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 for about two months or so... and all problems I found were related to that (Windows Media Center live TV, some games, audio software...).

Try to find out if Intel has any newer versions of Chipset and Southbridge drivers...

If not, I would try to disable all extra devices (sound, add-in cards) in order to find a pattern...

Good Luck! =)

Cesc

kingeek

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Thanks for your help,

I didn't yet mention that it's a clean vista business x64 install, before the upgrade i had vista x32 installed.

I tried installing new drivers from intel and uninstalling the few programs which I had installed, like avast virus killer and nvidia drivers, but it all didn't help.

I've tried disabling usb, lan, audio, serial, parrallel and the ide drive from which i run xp, nothing.

When disabling all services with msconfig it's still a slow boot, when booting in safe mode however it's fast. Now how do I figure out what is the problem?

kingeek

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Yes I did,

They were all software changes for speeding up booting and other things, which won't help me with this problem. Thanks anyway!

I have removed 4 gigs, so now there's 2x2 (4gb) left and the system boots very fast.

So, what it comes down to is, does vista 64, the motherboard, or the memory cause this (or the combination of the last 2?)

kingeek

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Well it does support 8 gigs, but not at 800mhz. But is does, as it is running now. Weird, the manual is probably just outdated.

I found a solution anyway, thanks both of you for your help.

I downgraded my bios to ver 1669, and now it boots fine. I found the solution by searching for '8gb slow boot', on technet.

Thanks again!