papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Just recently i noticed a low barely audible buzzing/humming noise coming from my silverstone 750w psu. I just installed some new hardware which uses more power than before so im guessing that its stressing the psu more causing the noise to get louder. Is it normal for a PSU to make a very low buzzing noise? Im very picky, this noise is just barely audible but i know its coming from my PSU. If its not normal, should i RMA or is there a way to fix it?

stapleton87

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Voltage converters can make some noise, my laptop tends to whine slightly on battery power because of that. Check your voltages on your power supply if you think its a problem, you can use a program like pc wizard if you don't have a tester. Sounds like it could be the fan too. But if the voltages are good and the fan isn't about to slice open a wire, it probably isn't much of a problem.

*edit* oh, if you do have a tester or if you know how to cross the right leads on the 20/24 pin connector, you can turn on the p/s without having it hooked to the computer. might help isolating the noise further.