Other Games

Last response: in Video Games
Share
March 21, 2005 8:03:31 PM

In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
what has been taking up most of your time?

I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.

I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
shades too weak to push the graphics in it.

I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
active in BF1942?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

More about : games

Anonymous
March 21, 2005 8:03:32 PM

Smeghead> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered
Smeghead> getting it, but wanted to get some real-life reviews
Smeghead> first. Anyone here still active in BF1942?

Yep, BF1942 still rocks. There are still 2000-3000 people playing
it. (Compared to maybe 300 playing TV.) Even Battlefield Vietnam is
pretty cheap these days.

You have to hand it to the Battlefield franchise; they regularly put
out patches and new maps, even over a year after the game came out.
I'm still waiting on the TV patch and the maps are getting old ...

--
Michael Bain
Anonymous

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
> what has been taking up most of your time?
>
> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
>
> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
>
> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
> active in BF1942?
>
> --
> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Whenever i wanna see if i like a game i download the demo!

I recently downloaded the far cry demo,
it was good.

I hear Battlefield 2 is coming out, but thats all i can say about
battlefield,
never played it, you see.

Counter Strike Source is good mindless fun, but it may be two shades too
strong
for your graphics card.

I hear there's some interesting real time strategy games, such as Rome Total
War and Dawn of War.

However, as with everyone else in this group. You should focus on your real
hobby - Cameras!

(yes that is your hobby it HAS to be)

Ok now lets talk about cameras for the next 40 posts or so.
Related resources
March 22, 2005 11:23:27 PM

Smeghead wrote:
> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
> what has been taking up most of your time?
>
> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
>
> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
>
> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
> active in BF1942?

Since we now have a REAL geek store here, with every game
and every game platform imaginable here, I am totally lost standing
in front of all those colorful boxes.
However, I know that I want to stay with PC games. With all the
hype surrounding the release of GT-4 here, I wonder if this driving
game is any fun?

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, hoping it's not actually GranTourismo *5*
March 23, 2005 1:28:33 AM

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:11:56 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
>> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
>> what has been taking up most of your time?
>>
>> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
>> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
>>
>> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
>> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
>>
>> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
>> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
>> active in BF1942?
>>
>> --
>> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
>
>Whenever i wanna see if i like a game i download the demo!

Got the demo for Far Cry, looks like a beautiful slideshow on my
graphics card.

>I recently downloaded the far cry demo,
>it was good.

I think so too. The sound is really excellent. Something that seems
have eluded the lads that developed T:V.

>I hear Battlefield 2 is coming out, but thats all i can say about
>battlefield,
>never played it, you see.

I played a demo ages ago. Can't recall my impressions, which can't be
good.

>Counter Strike Source is good mindless fun, but it may be two shades too
>strong
>for your graphics card.

Probably. I've not even downloaded the demo for HL2 for fear that I
would weep with frustration at not being able to play it smoothly.

>I hear there's some interesting real time strategy games, such as Rome Total
>War and Dawn of War.

I haven't a strategic bone in my body. I'm amazed that I can plot a
course from my car to the front door where I work.

>However, as with everyone else in this group. You should focus on your real
>hobby - Cameras!

Hell yeah! Funny you should mention it. I just upgraded a few
megapixels in my digital camera ownership.

My wife has a couple of 35mm SLR's.

The appeal of digital cameras for me, though, is the ability to take a
staggering amount of point-n-shoot snaps with out the cost of
traditional film development. With the birth of my daughters, we
figured it would be a fun and economical way to chronicle their early
years.

Our latest digital is a Kodak LS753 5 megapixel. Which is a welcome
boost up from our slowly darkening 2.2 megapixel camera.

>(yes that is your hobby it HAS to be)

It is, as a diddler and a fiddler, but not as an aficionado.
(Actually, my hobby is computers)

>Ok now lets talk about cameras for the next 40 posts or so.

Sounds like a plan!

I give stage to Fabrice and Mr. K, who are far more interesting and
informed on this topic.

Just one question. What is an f-stop?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
March 23, 2005 1:28:34 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> Just one question. What is an f-stop?

An adjustment of the lens, which regulates how much light
is allowed to pass through. That, combined with shutter speed,
is the "exposure" of a particular frame of film.

And no, I did NOT look it up. :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:25:27 PM

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:28:33 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

[Snip]

> Hell yeah! Funny you should mention it. I just upgraded a few
> megapixels in my digital camera ownership.
>
> My wife has a couple of 35mm SLR's.
>
> The appeal of digital cameras for me, though, is the ability to take a
> staggering amount of point-n-shoot snaps with out the cost of
> traditional film development. With the birth of my daughters, we
> figured it would be a fun and economical way to chronicle their early
> years.
>
> Our latest digital is a Kodak LS753 5 megapixel. Which is a welcome
> boost up from our slowly darkening 2.2 megapixel camera.

With one of my first pay packets, I'm planning to buy either a "Newman &
Guardia New Special Sybil" (pics of one at
http://www.marriottworld.com/stock_pics/olderpics/sibyl...) or save up
for a field-camera (specimens at
http://www.glowbox.demon.co.uk/LIST3.HTM).

.... well, it will be antique camera #30. :)

Oh... and upgrade my (not very gracefully) aging Dimage 5, possibly to a
Canon EOS350D (hence one of my earlier posts).

> It is, as a diddler and a fiddler, but not as an aficionado.
> (Actually, my hobby is computers)

Computers is now part of my job role, so cameras (collecting/using) has
become my hobby. :)

> Sounds like a plan!
>
> I give stage to Fabrice and Mr. K, who are far more interesting and
> informed on this topic.
>
> Just one question. What is an f-stop?

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
.... yeah, what that page says.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
> active in BF1942?

I liked the Secret Weapons add-on, which includes some faster vehicles and
an almost-useful jet pack. You can get it bundled with the base game and
the Road to Rome add-on, which has some pretty good maps.

I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to a
mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's pretty
fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take longer to load
and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers going.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:41:00 PM

Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 4:55:40 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

> Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).

Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:05:38 PM

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
>
> > Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
>
> Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).
>
> Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
> http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

according to the write up on Mechwarrior @ underdogs.org, the physics model
fasa studio used was dynamix's. interesting, i didn't know that.

> --
> "There's violence to be done."
> R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
March 26, 2005 2:39:14 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:
>> ^,,^< wrote:
>> Plus, it's in the past- that's a deal breaker
>> for an old fart like me. I cut my teeth on Asimov's writings.
>>
>> /me sighs
>
> Have you read Iain M. Banks? His Culture novels are fantastic. I love
> the idea of ships, sometimes carrying millions of passengers, having
> names like "GSV So Much For Subtlety", "GSV Size Isn't Everything",
> "GCU Funny, It Worked Last Time...", and so on.
>
> And the stories are actually pretty bloody good, too.

No, but I'm adding him to my reading list! :)

--
>^,,^< Miracle

March 26, 2005 3:43:56 AM

>^,,^< wrote:
> Frank van Schie wrote:
>
>>>^,,^< wrote:
>>>Plus, it's in the past- that's a deal breaker
>>>for an old fart like me. I cut my teeth on Asimov's writings.
>>>
>>>/me sighs
>>
>>Have you read Iain M. Banks? His Culture novels are fantastic. I love
>>the idea of ships, sometimes carrying millions of passengers, having
>>names like "GSV So Much For Subtlety", "GSV Size Isn't Everything",
>>"GCU Funny, It Worked Last Time...", and so on.
>>
>>And the stories are actually pretty bloody good, too.
>
> No, but I'm adding him to my reading list! :)

Oh, also: Vernor Vinge and several of his books:
A Deepness in the Sky, and the same-universe book (published earlier) A
Fire Upon the Deep.
The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, almost sequels, though fairly
disparate, to be found in a single volume: Across Realtime.

Look 'm up, and you'll see good reviews for all of these :)
--
Frank
March 27, 2005 1:00:43 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:25:27 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:28:33 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

>> Just one question. What is an f-stop?
>
>http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
>... yeah, what that page says.

What that pages says in volumes, you mean! I think I might understand
it finally!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
March 27, 2005 1:02:04 AM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:11:40 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
>> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
>> active in BF1942?
>
>I liked the Secret Weapons add-on, which includes some faster vehicles and
>an almost-useful jet pack. You can get it bundled with the base game and
>the Road to Rome add-on, which has some pretty good maps.
>
>I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
>download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to a
>mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's pretty
>fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take longer to load
>and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers going.

Cool. I remember reading early on about spawn killing being an
aggravating issue. Is that true?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
March 27, 2005 1:02:52 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

I be lovin' some covert torpin' action!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
March 27, 2005 1:03:46 AM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:55:40 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
>
>> Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
>
>Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).
>
>Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
>http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

My favorite sub sim of all time is Silent Service. Used to play for
hours and hours on the old C=64.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

>>I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
>>download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to
>>a mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's
>>pretty fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take
>>longer to load and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers
>>going.
>
> Cool. I remember reading early on about spawn killing being an
> aggravating issue. Is that true?

Well-run servers ban attacks on the uncapturable flag points, but if you
spawn in a capturable, it's open season. Then there's servers that
generally are well-run but have one or two admins who are, uhm, less then
adequate and kick/ban-happy. Mr K should know what I'm talking about. ;)
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 6:03:22 PM

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

> Oh, also: Vernor Vinge and several of his books:
> A Deepness in the Sky, and the same-universe book (published earlier) A
> Fire Upon the Deep.
> The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, almost sequels, though fairly
> disparate, to be found in a single volume: Across Realtime.
>
> Look 'm up, and you'll see good reviews for all of these :)

My favorite author.

Right now I'm reading John Ringo's "There Will Be Dragons", about the Fall
of the Net and the resulting collapse of civilization. Tribes fans should
read Ringo's "A Hymn Before Battle" and its sequels, which involves war in
powered suits.

http://www.johnringo.com/books.htm
Anonymous
March 28, 2005 1:12:00 AM

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:58:57 -0600, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Well-run servers ban attacks on the uncapturable flag points, but if you
> spawn in a capturable, it's open season. Then there's servers that
> generally are well-run but have one or two admins who are, uhm, less then
> adequate and kick/ban-happy. Mr K should know what I'm talking about. ;)

Hmm... lemme think...

.... the "generally are well-run" bit's giving me trouble.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
April 6, 2005 8:38:35 AM

Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.

Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 6, 2005 9:05:46 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
> what has been taking up most of your time?

World of Warcraft, by far. Well, that and work, but that's not really a
game, even if I *am* finally coding in C++.

--
Troy
April 6, 2005 10:40:25 PM

On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
>> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
>> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
>> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.
>

> Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
>that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.

That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
you'll win like Woods!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 6, 2005 10:41:00 PM

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:05:46 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
>> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
>> what has been taking up most of your time?
>
>World of Warcraft, by far. Well, that and work, but that's not really a
>game, even if I *am* finally coding in C++.

I'd love to take up coding.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 7, 2005 9:21:35 AM

Smeghead wrote:

> I'd love to take up coding.

Unfortunately, I'm not coding games, just utilities to help automate
testing of printer drivers. I'm also still learning a lot as I plod
along, but making quick progress. I even managed to use a "Duff's
Device" in my code, just because I wanted to prove to myself that I
could. :)

--
Troy
April 7, 2005 10:40:01 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
>>> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
>>> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
>>> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.
>>

>> Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
>> that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.
>
> That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
> cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
> you'll win like Woods!

Baby love, if you believe that, I've got some prime lakefront
property I want to sell you, sight unseen.

The biggest challenge is learn what each wood or iron does, and
develop a good, same-every-time swing. Good Luck!! LOL
I can't hit for distance at all, having to baby my lower back, but
I can putt like a pro. Those miniature golf courses of my youth held
me good stead later in life. :D

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 7, 2005 8:40:48 PM

On 7 Apr 2005 06:40:01 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
>>> that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.
>>
>> That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
>> cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
>> you'll win like Woods!
>

> Baby love, if you believe that, I've got some prime lakefront
>property I want to sell you, sight unseen.

So you're saying that a big corporation would lie to make a sale? Get
outta here!

> The biggest challenge is learn what each wood or iron does, and
>develop a good, same-every-time swing. Good Luck!! LOL
> I can't hit for distance at all, having to baby my lower back, but
>I can putt like a pro. Those miniature golf courses of my youth held
>me good stead later in life. :D

I can't say what strengths or weaknesses I have as I have neither
driven nor putted. Basically for fear of becoming hooked. (As opposed
to sliced?)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 7, 2005 8:43:53 PM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:21:35 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>
>> I'd love to take up coding.
>
>Unfortunately, I'm not coding games, just utilities to help automate
>testing of printer drivers. I'm also still learning a lot as I plod
>along, but making quick progress. I even managed to use a "Duff's
>Device" in my code, just because I wanted to prove to myself that I
>could. :)

Wow! A Duff's Device? You don't say! Hella right on, man! I knew you
could do it...

er... what's a Duff's device?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Wow! A Duff's Device? You don't say! Hella right on, man! I knew you
> could do it...
> er... what's a Duff's device?

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/d/Duffsdevice.html
April 8, 2005 8:23:03 AM

Smeghead wrote:

>>http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/d/Duffsdevice.html
>

> Oh.

That site's actually where I first saw it. I was looking for something
else. I saw it and went, "huh?" Since I learned to program using BASIC,
putting a do/while loop in the middle of a switch just seemed so wrong.

I then asked a senior engineer about it. He explained that it was
replacing a for/next loop. Each time the code runs through the loop,
there is a branch in the resulting machine code, which costs time. It's
usually used in an inner loop that is called over and over again. It
winds up dividing the loops by 8.

So, I looked at my code, saw an inner loop, and decided to replace it. I
even replaced an IF with boolean math to eliminate all branches.

Overall, it didn't really help performance, since the loop was only
being called a few times per second. I knew it wouldn't help, but I just
wanted to show that I could do it. I showed the same senior engineer my
code and he just kind of rolled his eyes. :)

--
Troy
April 8, 2005 8:23:04 AM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:23:03 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>
>>>http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/d/Duffsdevice.html
>>

>> Oh.
>
>That site's actually where I first saw it. I was looking for something
>else. I saw it and went, "huh?" Since I learned to program using BASIC,
>putting a do/while loop in the middle of a switch just seemed so wrong.
>
>I then asked a senior engineer about it. He explained that it was
>replacing a for/next loop. Each time the code runs through the loop,
>there is a branch in the resulting machine code, which costs time. It's
>usually used in an inner loop that is called over and over again. It
>winds up dividing the loops by 8.
>
>So, I looked at my code, saw an inner loop, and decided to replace it. I
>even replaced an IF with boolean math to eliminate all branches.
>
>Overall, it didn't really help performance, since the loop was only
>being called a few times per second. I knew it wouldn't help, but I just
>wanted to show that I could do it. I showed the same senior engineer my
>code and he just kind of rolled his eyes. :)

Hehehe, that's cool. I had looked up Duff's Device at answers.com and
it sounds really interesting. Something that shouldn't work but does
is always interesting.

I'm sure that if I were schooled in coding, it would be even more
interesting.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 8, 2005 10:29:56 AM

Smeghead wrote, in part:
> I can't say what strengths or weaknesses I have as I have neither
> driven nor putted. Basically for fear of becoming hooked. (As opposed
> to sliced?)

The neat thing about golf is the change of scenery, for me.
Plus, I get to drive the cart. :D

Seriously, I am a lousy golfer, but I walk a lot of the course,
which is mild, but good, exercise, and it's nice being outdoors
with friends for awhile. A lot of happy bullshit can take place
between friends during 18 holes, and a good time is had by all.

Say, sounds sorta like ags-t...........................

--
{{{{{HUGZ!!!}}}}},
Miracle

April 8, 2005 11:01:46 AM

On 8 Apr 2005 06:29:56 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote, in part:
>> I can't say what strengths or weaknesses I have as I have neither
>> driven nor putted. Basically for fear of becoming hooked. (As opposed
>> to sliced?)
>

> The neat thing about golf is the change of scenery, for me.
>Plus, I get to drive the cart. :D
>
> Seriously, I am a lousy golfer, but I walk a lot of the course,
>which is mild, but good, exercise, and it's nice being outdoors
>with friends for awhile. A lot of happy bullshit can take place
>between friends during 18 holes, and a good time is had by all.
>
> Say, sounds sorta like ags-t...........................

alt.golf.starsiege.tribes?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 8, 2005 10:01:05 PM

Smeghead wrote:
> alt.golf.starsiege.tribes?

Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

April 9, 2005 12:29:39 AM

On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL

Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
common sense kicks in.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:29:40 AM

> On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
>
>> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL
>
> Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
> common sense kicks in.

Tired of losing your balls? :^) Try discgolf. My sport of preference.

http://www.discgolf.com/content/view/49/59/
http://www.pdga.com/
http://www.discgolf.co.uk/ <-- for the bloke

Quixote
April 9, 2005 2:30:11 AM

On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> alt.golf.starsiege.tribes?
>

> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL

Nah. Somehow I just don't think talking about balls, shafts, holes
and strokes is appropriate for a family newsgroup.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 9, 2005 2:32:35 AM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:29:39 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
>
>> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL
>
>Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
>common sense kicks in.

I guess "common sense" equals:

* Sunburn
* Drunkenness or
* Becoming broke.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
April 9, 2005 2:34:42 AM

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:24:03 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
>>
>>> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL
>>
>> Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
>> common sense kicks in.
>>

>Tired of losing your balls? :^) Try discgolf. My sport of preference.
>
>http://www.discgolf.com/content/view/49/59/
>http://www.pdga.com/
>http://www.discgolf.co.uk/ <-- for the bloke

Howabout someone code a combative "disc" golf game for Tribes? Be
careful of the splash radius of the spinfuser when teeing off!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:24:03 -0500, Quixote wrote:

> Tired of losing your balls? :^)

Er... no, can't say that I've ever lost my balls. I might even be able to
get job references.

/me blames teh stella.

> Try discgolf. My sport of preference.
>
> http://www.discgolf.com/content/view/49/59/
> http://www.pdga.com/
> http://www.discgolf.co.uk/ <-- for the bloke

Whack a disc... go retrieve... hey, wait a minute, there's rumoured to be
an online team-oriented game like this, isn't there? If not, there should
be, there's a market out there for teamkillers.

Iirc, Sierra got first prize for this one, but I could be mistaken.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 1:32:47 PM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:32:35 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> I guess "common sense" equals:
>
> * Sunburn
> * Drunkenness or
> * Becoming broke.

Er... nope... those are just afflictions to help golf players realise what
a waste of time it is.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
April 12, 2005 8:22:53 AM

Randy Graham wrote:
> Oh hell, I thought it would have something to do with beer.

Why do you think it caught my eye?

--
Troy
April 13, 2005 10:12:10 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> I was in a fundie school as a teen and words like "gosh" were verboten
> because they were just a way to cuss while hiding the fact. So I
> either use the real word or none at all, instead of taking
> half-measures.

Interesting! My mother was certifiable, and I once got a
hellish whipping for singing "confound it" in a song I had
learned that day in school. It was second or third grade,
and I'll never forget my shock at being punished for that
innoccuous phrase.

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 13, 2005 10:14:43 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> I learned my best swearing from my mom.

Amen! My mother taught me everything I know, except
for "the bird" or "the finger".

> When I was a kid, we were just careful not to swear in earshot of
> adults. And then, once we're adults, we have to be careful not to
> swear in earshot of children. Makes no sense to me.

Me neither. Go figure.

> Penn and Teller had a great episode of Bullshit on the subject.
> Episodes resume April 25:
>
> http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/

Cool, I'll go check it out!

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 13, 2005 3:12:12 PM

>^,,^< Miracle wrote:
>>Penn and Teller had a great episode of Bullshit on the subject.
>>Episodes resume April 25:
>>
>>http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/
>
> Cool, I'll go check it out!

Penn and Teller are pretty cool in any case, and I've seen the pilot
episode of Bullshit!. It takes a skeptics view on many things they
consider to be bullshit.

--
Frank
Anonymous

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425d551d$1_4
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> California is so full of whiny faggots that
> I refuse to go there again and spend another dime

Thanks for that. Someday I'll escape the madhouse myself, and take my
income with me! Kind of a John Galt thing.

Alas, an awful lot of silicon gets made here, so it's hard to keep up with
the latest computer developments without spending money here.
April 14, 2005 11:32:50 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425d551d$1_4
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> California is so full of whiny faggots that
>> I refuse to go there again and spend another dime
>
> Thanks for that. Someday I'll escape the madhouse myself, and take my
> income with me! Kind of a John Galt thing.
>
> Alas, an awful lot of silicon gets made here, so it's hard to keep up
> with the latest computer developments without spending money here.

Hmmm, I should have added "Present company excluded!"
{{{{{HUGZ}}}}}
But I do hope you get out of the rat race one day. We watched
the LA news again tonight and were horrified all over again. Good
heavens a lot happens over there in one day!
(Keep in mind that I'm referring to the Los Angeles area alone.)

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

April 14, 2005 11:45:16 PM

">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425e1ca2$1_4
@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

> But I do hope you get out of the rat race one day. We watched
> the LA news again tonight and were horrified all over again. Good
> heavens a lot happens over there in one day!
> (Keep in mind that I'm referring to the Los Angeles area alone.)

Remember that that's the home of yellow journalism, so it's most likely not
as bad as it looks. ;)
April 15, 2005 1:01:31 AM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:45:16 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425e1ca2$1_4
>@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> But I do hope you get out of the rat race one day. We watched
>> the LA news again tonight and were horrified all over again. Good
>> heavens a lot happens over there in one day!
>> (Keep in mind that I'm referring to the Los Angeles area alone.)
>
>Remember that that's the home of yellow journalism, so it's most likely not
>as bad as it looks. ;)

The Asians do all the journalism in California?! Who knew?!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
!