Other Games

In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
what has been taking up most of your time?

I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.

I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
shades too weak to push the graphics in it.

I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
active in BF1942?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
48 answers Last reply

    Smeghead> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered
    Smeghead> getting it, but wanted to get some real-life reviews
    Smeghead> first. Anyone here still active in BF1942?

    Yep, BF1942 still rocks. There are still 2000-3000 people playing
    it. (Compared to maybe 300 playing TV.) Even Battlefield Vietnam is
    pretty cheap these days.

    You have to hand it to the Battlefield franchise; they regularly put
    out patches and new maps, even over a year after the game came out.
    I'm still waiting on the TV patch and the maps are getting old ...

    --
    Michael Bain
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
    > franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
    > what has been taking up most of your time?
    >
    > I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
    > 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
    >
    > I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
    > shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
    >
    > I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
    > but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
    > active in BF1942?
    >
    > --
    > --==< S m e g h e a d >==--

    Whenever i wanna see if i like a game i download the demo!

    I recently downloaded the far cry demo,
    it was good.

    I hear Battlefield 2 is coming out, but thats all i can say about
    battlefield,
    never played it, you see.

    Counter Strike Source is good mindless fun, but it may be two shades too
    strong
    for your graphics card.

    I hear there's some interesting real time strategy games, such as Rome Total
    War and Dawn of War.

    However, as with everyone else in this group. You should focus on your real
    hobby - Cameras!

    (yes that is your hobby it HAS to be)

    Ok now lets talk about cameras for the next 40 posts or so.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
    > franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
    > what has been taking up most of your time?
    >
    > I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
    > 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
    >
    > I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
    > shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
    >
    > I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
    > but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
    > active in BF1942?

    Since we now have a REAL geek store here, with every game
    and every game platform imaginable here, I am totally lost standing
    in front of all those colorful boxes.
    However, I know that I want to stay with PC games. With all the
    hype surrounding the release of GT-4 here, I wonder if this driving
    game is any fun?

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, hoping it's not actually GranTourismo *5*
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:11:56 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
    <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
    >> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
    >> what has been taking up most of your time?
    >>
    >> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
    >> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
    >>
    >> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
    >> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
    >>
    >> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
    >> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
    >> active in BF1942?
    >>
    >> --
    >> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
    >
    >Whenever i wanna see if i like a game i download the demo!

    Got the demo for Far Cry, looks like a beautiful slideshow on my
    graphics card.

    >I recently downloaded the far cry demo,
    >it was good.

    I think so too. The sound is really excellent. Something that seems
    have eluded the lads that developed T:V.

    >I hear Battlefield 2 is coming out, but thats all i can say about
    >battlefield,
    >never played it, you see.

    I played a demo ages ago. Can't recall my impressions, which can't be
    good.

    >Counter Strike Source is good mindless fun, but it may be two shades too
    >strong
    >for your graphics card.

    Probably. I've not even downloaded the demo for HL2 for fear that I
    would weep with frustration at not being able to play it smoothly.

    >I hear there's some interesting real time strategy games, such as Rome Total
    >War and Dawn of War.

    I haven't a strategic bone in my body. I'm amazed that I can plot a
    course from my car to the front door where I work.

    >However, as with everyone else in this group. You should focus on your real
    >hobby - Cameras!

    Hell yeah! Funny you should mention it. I just upgraded a few
    megapixels in my digital camera ownership.

    My wife has a couple of 35mm SLR's.

    The appeal of digital cameras for me, though, is the ability to take a
    staggering amount of point-n-shoot snaps with out the cost of
    traditional film development. With the birth of my daughters, we
    figured it would be a fun and economical way to chronicle their early
    years.

    Our latest digital is a Kodak LS753 5 megapixel. Which is a welcome
    boost up from our slowly darkening 2.2 megapixel camera.

    >(yes that is your hobby it HAS to be)

    It is, as a diddler and a fiddler, but not as an aficionado.
    (Actually, my hobby is computers)

    >Ok now lets talk about cameras for the next 40 posts or so.

    Sounds like a plan!

    I give stage to Fabrice and Mr. K, who are far more interesting and
    informed on this topic.

    Just one question. What is an f-stop?

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > Just one question. What is an f-stop?

    An adjustment of the lens, which regulates how much light
    is allowed to pass through. That, combined with shutter speed,
    is the "exposure" of a particular frame of film.

    And no, I did NOT look it up. :)

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:28:33 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

    [Snip]

    > Hell yeah! Funny you should mention it. I just upgraded a few
    > megapixels in my digital camera ownership.
    >
    > My wife has a couple of 35mm SLR's.
    >
    > The appeal of digital cameras for me, though, is the ability to take a
    > staggering amount of point-n-shoot snaps with out the cost of
    > traditional film development. With the birth of my daughters, we
    > figured it would be a fun and economical way to chronicle their early
    > years.
    >
    > Our latest digital is a Kodak LS753 5 megapixel. Which is a welcome
    > boost up from our slowly darkening 2.2 megapixel camera.

    With one of my first pay packets, I'm planning to buy either a "Newman &
    Guardia New Special Sybil" (pics of one at
    http://www.marriottworld.com/stock_pics/olderpics/sibyl.htm) or save up
    for a field-camera (specimens at
    http://www.glowbox.demon.co.uk/LIST3.HTM).

    .... well, it will be antique camera #30. :)

    Oh... and upgrade my (not very gracefully) aging Dimage 5, possibly to a
    Canon EOS350D (hence one of my earlier posts).

    > It is, as a diddler and a fiddler, but not as an aficionado.
    > (Actually, my hobby is computers)

    Computers is now part of my job role, so cameras (collecting/using) has
    become my hobby. :)

    > Sounds like a plan!
    >
    > I give stage to Fabrice and Mr. K, who are far more interesting and
    > informed on this topic.
    >
    > Just one question. What is an f-stop?

    http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
    .... yeah, what that page says.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

    "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
    > but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
    > active in BF1942?

    I liked the Secret Weapons add-on, which includes some faster vehicles and
    an almost-useful jet pack. You can get it bundled with the base game and
    the Road to Rome add-on, which has some pretty good maps.

    I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
    download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to a
    mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's pretty
    fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take longer to load
    and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers going.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

    > Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

    Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).

    Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    "Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
    >
    > > Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
    >
    > Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).
    >
    > Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
    > http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

    according to the write up on Mechwarrior @ underdogs.org, the physics model
    fasa studio used was dynamix's. interesting, i didn't know that.

    > --
    > "There's violence to be done."
    > R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie wrote:
    >> ^,,^< wrote:
    >> Plus, it's in the past- that's a deal breaker
    >> for an old fart like me. I cut my teeth on Asimov's writings.
    >>
    >> /me sighs
    >
    > Have you read Iain M. Banks? His Culture novels are fantastic. I love
    > the idea of ships, sometimes carrying millions of passengers, having
    > names like "GSV So Much For Subtlety", "GSV Size Isn't Everything",
    > "GCU Funny, It Worked Last Time...", and so on.
    >
    > And the stories are actually pretty bloody good, too.

    No, but I'm adding him to my reading list! :)

    --
    >^,,^< Miracle

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< wrote:
    > Frank van Schie wrote:
    >
    >>>^,,^< wrote:
    >>>Plus, it's in the past- that's a deal breaker
    >>>for an old fart like me. I cut my teeth on Asimov's writings.
    >>>
    >>>/me sighs
    >>
    >>Have you read Iain M. Banks? His Culture novels are fantastic. I love
    >>the idea of ships, sometimes carrying millions of passengers, having
    >>names like "GSV So Much For Subtlety", "GSV Size Isn't Everything",
    >>"GCU Funny, It Worked Last Time...", and so on.
    >>
    >>And the stories are actually pretty bloody good, too.
    >
    > No, but I'm adding him to my reading list! :)

    Oh, also: Vernor Vinge and several of his books:
    A Deepness in the Sky, and the same-universe book (published earlier) A
    Fire Upon the Deep.
    The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, almost sequels, though fairly
    disparate, to be found in a single volume: Across Realtime.

    Look 'm up, and you'll see good reviews for all of these :)
    --
    Frank
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:25:27 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:28:33 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

    >> Just one question. What is an f-stop?
    >
    >http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
    >... yeah, what that page says.

    What that pages says in volumes, you mean! I think I might understand
    it finally!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:11:40 -0600, ScratchMonkey
    <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

    >"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
    >> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
    >> active in BF1942?
    >
    >I liked the Secret Weapons add-on, which includes some faster vehicles and
    >an almost-useful jet pack. You can get it bundled with the base game and
    >the Road to Rome add-on, which has some pretty good maps.
    >
    >I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
    >download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to a
    >mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's pretty
    >fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take longer to load
    >and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers going.

    Cool. I remember reading early on about spawn killing being an
    aggravating issue. Is that true?

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
    <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

    I be lovin' some covert torpin' action!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:55:40 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
    >
    >> Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
    >
    >Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).
    >
    >Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
    >http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

    My favorite sub sim of all time is Silent Service. Used to play for
    hours and hours on the old C=64.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >>I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
    >>download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to
    >>a mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's
    >>pretty fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take
    >>longer to load and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers
    >>going.
    >
    > Cool. I remember reading early on about spawn killing being an
    > aggravating issue. Is that true?

    Well-run servers ban attacks on the uncapturable flag points, but if you
    spawn in a capturable, it's open season. Then there's servers that
    generally are well-run but have one or two admins who are, uhm, less then
    adequate and kick/ban-happy. Mr K should know what I'm talking about. ;)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

    > Oh, also: Vernor Vinge and several of his books:
    > A Deepness in the Sky, and the same-universe book (published earlier) A
    > Fire Upon the Deep.
    > The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, almost sequels, though fairly
    > disparate, to be found in a single volume: Across Realtime.
    >
    > Look 'm up, and you'll see good reviews for all of these :)

    My favorite author.

    Right now I'm reading John Ringo's "There Will Be Dragons", about the Fall
    of the Net and the resulting collapse of civilization. Tribes fans should
    read Ringo's "A Hymn Before Battle" and its sequels, which involves war in
    powered suits.

    http://www.johnringo.com/books.htm
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:58:57 -0600, ScratchMonkey wrote:

    > Well-run servers ban attacks on the uncapturable flag points, but if you
    > spawn in a capturable, it's open season. Then there's servers that
    > generally are well-run but have one or two admins who are, uhm, less then
    > adequate and kick/ban-happy. Mr K should know what I'm talking about. ;)

    Hmm... lemme think...

    .... the "generally are well-run" bit's giving me trouble.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
    > Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
    > golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
    > where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.

    Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
    that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
    > franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
    > what has been taking up most of your time?

    World of Warcraft, by far. Well, that and work, but that's not really a
    game, even if I *am* finally coding in C++.

    --
    Troy
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
    wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
    >> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
    >> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
    >> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.
    >

    > Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
    >that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.

    That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
    cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
    you'll win like Woods!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:05:46 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
    >> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
    >> what has been taking up most of your time?
    >
    >World of Warcraft, by far. Well, that and work, but that's not really a
    >game, even if I *am* finally coding in C++.

    I'd love to take up coding.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:

    > I'd love to take up coding.

    Unfortunately, I'm not coding games, just utilities to help automate
    testing of printer drivers. I'm also still learning a lot as I plod
    along, but making quick progress. I even managed to use a "Duff's
    Device" in my code, just because I wanted to prove to myself that I
    could. :)

    --
    Troy
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
    >>> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
    >>> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
    >>> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.
    >>

    >> Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
    >> that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.
    >
    > That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
    > cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
    > you'll win like Woods!

    Baby love, if you believe that, I've got some prime lakefront
    property I want to sell you, sight unseen.

    The biggest challenge is learn what each wood or iron does, and
    develop a good, same-every-time swing. Good Luck!! LOL
    I can't hit for distance at all, having to baby my lower back, but
    I can putt like a pro. Those miniature golf courses of my youth held
    me good stead later in life. :D

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 7 Apr 2005 06:40:01 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
    wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >> On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
    >>> that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.
    >>
    >> That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
    >> cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
    >> you'll win like Woods!
    >

    > Baby love, if you believe that, I've got some prime lakefront
    >property I want to sell you, sight unseen.

    So you're saying that a big corporation would lie to make a sale? Get
    outta here!

    > The biggest challenge is learn what each wood or iron does, and
    >develop a good, same-every-time swing. Good Luck!! LOL
    > I can't hit for distance at all, having to baby my lower back, but
    >I can putt like a pro. Those miniature golf courses of my youth held
    >me good stead later in life. :D

    I can't say what strengths or weaknesses I have as I have neither
    driven nor putted. Basically for fear of becoming hooked. (As opposed
    to sliced?)

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:21:35 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >
    >> I'd love to take up coding.
    >
    >Unfortunately, I'm not coding games, just utilities to help automate
    >testing of printer drivers. I'm also still learning a lot as I plod
    >along, but making quick progress. I even managed to use a "Duff's
    >Device" in my code, just because I wanted to prove to myself that I
    >could. :)

    Wow! A Duff's Device? You don't say! Hella right on, man! I knew you
    could do it...

    er... what's a Duff's device?

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
    were:
    > Wow! A Duff's Device? You don't say! Hella right on, man! I knew you
    > could do it...
    > er... what's a Duff's device?

    http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/d/Duffsdevice.html
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:

    >>http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/d/Duffsdevice.html
    >

    > Oh.

    That site's actually where I first saw it. I was looking for something
    else. I saw it and went, "huh?" Since I learned to program using BASIC,
    putting a do/while loop in the middle of a switch just seemed so wrong.

    I then asked a senior engineer about it. He explained that it was
    replacing a for/next loop. Each time the code runs through the loop,
    there is a branch in the resulting machine code, which costs time. It's
    usually used in an inner loop that is called over and over again. It
    winds up dividing the loops by 8.

    So, I looked at my code, saw an inner loop, and decided to replace it. I
    even replaced an IF with boolean math to eliminate all branches.

    Overall, it didn't really help performance, since the loop was only
    being called a few times per second. I knew it wouldn't help, but I just
    wanted to show that I could do it. I showed the same senior engineer my
    code and he just kind of rolled his eyes. :)

    --
    Troy
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 04:23:03 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >
    >>>http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/d/Duffsdevice.html
    >>

    >> Oh.
    >
    >That site's actually where I first saw it. I was looking for something
    >else. I saw it and went, "huh?" Since I learned to program using BASIC,
    >putting a do/while loop in the middle of a switch just seemed so wrong.
    >
    >I then asked a senior engineer about it. He explained that it was
    >replacing a for/next loop. Each time the code runs through the loop,
    >there is a branch in the resulting machine code, which costs time. It's
    >usually used in an inner loop that is called over and over again. It
    >winds up dividing the loops by 8.
    >
    >So, I looked at my code, saw an inner loop, and decided to replace it. I
    >even replaced an IF with boolean math to eliminate all branches.
    >
    >Overall, it didn't really help performance, since the loop was only
    >being called a few times per second. I knew it wouldn't help, but I just
    >wanted to show that I could do it. I showed the same senior engineer my
    >code and he just kind of rolled his eyes. :)

    Hehehe, that's cool. I had looked up Duff's Device at answers.com and
    it sounds really interesting. Something that shouldn't work but does
    is always interesting.

    I'm sure that if I were schooled in coding, it would be even more
    interesting.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote, in part:
    > I can't say what strengths or weaknesses I have as I have neither
    > driven nor putted. Basically for fear of becoming hooked. (As opposed
    > to sliced?)

    The neat thing about golf is the change of scenery, for me.
    Plus, I get to drive the cart. :D

    Seriously, I am a lousy golfer, but I walk a lot of the course,
    which is mild, but good, exercise, and it's nice being outdoors
    with friends for awhile. A lot of happy bullshit can take place
    between friends during 18 holes, and a good time is had by all.

    Say, sounds sorta like ags-t...........................

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!!!}}}}},
    Miracle

  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 8 Apr 2005 06:29:56 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com>
    wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote, in part:
    >> I can't say what strengths or weaknesses I have as I have neither
    >> driven nor putted. Basically for fear of becoming hooked. (As opposed
    >> to sliced?)
    >

    > The neat thing about golf is the change of scenery, for me.
    >Plus, I get to drive the cart. :D
    >
    > Seriously, I am a lousy golfer, but I walk a lot of the course,
    >which is mild, but good, exercise, and it's nice being outdoors
    >with friends for awhile. A lot of happy bullshit can take place
    >between friends during 18 holes, and a good time is had by all.
    >
    > Say, sounds sorta like ags-t...........................

    alt.golf.starsiege.tribes?

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Smeghead wrote:
    > alt.golf.starsiege.tribes?

    Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL

    --
    {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
    >^,,^< Miracle

  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:

    > Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL

    Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
    common sense kicks in.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    > On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >
    >> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL
    >
    > Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
    > common sense kicks in.

    Tired of losing your balls? :^) Try discgolf. My sport of preference.

    http://www.discgolf.com/content/view/49/59/
    http://www.pdga.com/
    http://www.discgolf.co.uk/ <-- for the bloke

    Quixote
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
    wrote:

    >Smeghead wrote:
    >> alt.golf.starsiege.tribes?
    >

    > Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL

    Nah. Somehow I just don't think talking about balls, shafts, holes
    and strokes is appropriate for a family newsgroup.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:29:39 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >
    >> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL
    >
    >Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
    >common sense kicks in.

    I guess "common sense" equals:

    * Sunburn
    * Drunkenness or
    * Becoming broke.

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:24:03 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
    wrote:

    >"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> On 8 Apr 2005 18:01:05 GMT, >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Works for me- we could talk golf!! LOL
    >>
    >> Oh great... golf. Whack a ball away... go retrieve ball... repeat until
    >> common sense kicks in.
    >>

    >Tired of losing your balls? :^) Try discgolf. My sport of preference.
    >
    >http://www.discgolf.com/content/view/49/59/
    >http://www.pdga.com/
    >http://www.discgolf.co.uk/ <-- for the bloke

    Howabout someone code a combative "disc" golf game for Tribes? Be
    careful of the splash radius of the spinfuser when teeing off!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:24:03 -0500, Quixote wrote:

    > Tired of losing your balls? :^)

    Er... no, can't say that I've ever lost my balls. I might even be able to
    get job references.

    /me blames teh stella.

    > Try discgolf. My sport of preference.
    >
    > http://www.discgolf.com/content/view/49/59/
    > http://www.pdga.com/
    > http://www.discgolf.co.uk/ <-- for the bloke

    Whack a disc... go retrieve... hey, wait a minute, there's rumoured to be
    an online team-oriented game like this, isn't there? If not, there should
    be, there's a market out there for teamkillers.

    Iirc, Sierra got first prize for this one, but I could be mistaken.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 22:32:35 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

    > I guess "common sense" equals:
    >
    > * Sunburn
    > * Drunkenness or
    > * Becoming broke.

    Er... nope... those are just afflictions to help golf players realise what
    a waste of time it is.

    --
    "There's violence to be done."
    R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    Randy Graham wrote:
    > Oh hell, I thought it would have something to do with beer.

    Why do you think it caught my eye?

    --
    Troy
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > I was in a fundie school as a teen and words like "gosh" were verboten
    > because they were just a way to cuss while hiding the fact. So I
    > either use the real word or none at all, instead of taking
    > half-measures.

    Interesting! My mother was certifiable, and I once got a
    hellish whipping for singing "confound it" in a song I had
    learned that day in school. It was second or third grade,
    and I'll never forget my shock at being punished for that
    innoccuous phrase.

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > I learned my best swearing from my mom.

    Amen! My mother taught me everything I know, except
    for "the bird" or "the finger".

    > When I was a kid, we were just careful not to swear in earshot of
    > adults. And then, once we're adults, we have to be careful not to
    > swear in earshot of children. Makes no sense to me.

    Me neither. Go figure.

    > Penn and Teller had a great episode of Bullshit on the subject.
    > Episodes resume April 25:
    >
    > http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/

    Cool, I'll go check it out!

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    >^,,^< Miracle wrote:
    >>Penn and Teller had a great episode of Bullshit on the subject.
    >>Episodes resume April 25:
    >>
    >>http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/
    >
    > Cool, I'll go check it out!

    Penn and Teller are pretty cool in any case, and I've seen the pilot
    episode of Bullshit!. It takes a skeptics view on many things they
    consider to be bullshit.

    --
    Frank
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425d551d$1_4
    @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

    > California is so full of whiny faggots that
    > I refuse to go there again and spend another dime

    Thanks for that. Someday I'll escape the madhouse myself, and take my
    income with me! Kind of a John Galt thing.

    Alas, an awful lot of silicon gets made here, so it's hard to keep up with
    the latest computer developments without spending money here.
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ScratchMonkey wrote:
    > ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425d551d$1_4
    > @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
    >
    >> California is so full of whiny faggots that
    >> I refuse to go there again and spend another dime
    >
    > Thanks for that. Someday I'll escape the madhouse myself, and take my
    > income with me! Kind of a John Galt thing.
    >
    > Alas, an awful lot of silicon gets made here, so it's hard to keep up
    > with the latest computer developments without spending money here.

    Hmmm, I should have added "Present company excluded!"
    {{{{{HUGZ}}}}}
    But I do hope you get out of the rat race one day. We watched
    the LA news again tonight and were horrified all over again. Good
    heavens a lot happens over there in one day!
    (Keep in mind that I'm referring to the Los Angeles area alone.)

    --
    > ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425e1ca2$1_4
    @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:

    > But I do hope you get out of the rat race one day. We watched
    > the LA news again tonight and were horrified all over again. Good
    > heavens a lot happens over there in one day!
    > (Keep in mind that I'm referring to the Los Angeles area alone.)

    Remember that that's the home of yellow journalism, so it's most likely not
    as bad as it looks. ;)
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.starsiege.tribes (More info?)

    On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:45:16 -0500, ScratchMonkey
    <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

    >">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:425e1ca2$1_4
    >@galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
    >
    >> But I do hope you get out of the rat race one day. We watched
    >> the LA news again tonight and were horrified all over again. Good
    >> heavens a lot happens over there in one day!
    >> (Keep in mind that I'm referring to the Los Angeles area alone.)
    >
    >Remember that that's the home of yellow journalism, so it's most likely not
    >as bad as it looks. ;)

    The Asians do all the journalism in California?! Who knew?!

    --
    --==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Games Video Games