Other Games

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
what has been taking up most of your time?

I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.

I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
shades too weak to push the graphics in it.

I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
active in BF1942?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Smeghead> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered
Smeghead> getting it, but wanted to get some real-life reviews
Smeghead> first. Anyone here still active in BF1942?

Yep, BF1942 still rocks. There are still 2000-3000 people playing
it. (Compared to maybe 300 playing TV.) Even Battlefield Vietnam is
pretty cheap these days.

You have to hand it to the Battlefield franchise; they regularly put
out patches and new maps, even over a year after the game came out.
I'm still waiting on the TV patch and the maps are getting old ...

--
Michael Bain

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
> what has been taking up most of your time?
>
> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
>
> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
>
> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
> active in BF1942?
>
> --
> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Whenever i wanna see if i like a game i download the demo!

I recently downloaded the far cry demo,
it was good.

I hear Battlefield 2 is coming out, but thats all i can say about
battlefield,
never played it, you see.

Counter Strike Source is good mindless fun, but it may be two shades too
strong
for your graphics card.

I hear there's some interesting real time strategy games, such as Rome Total
War and Dawn of War.

However, as with everyone else in this group. You should focus on your real
hobby - Cameras!

(yes that is your hobby it HAS to be)

Ok now lets talk about cameras for the next 40 posts or so.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
> what has been taking up most of your time?
>
> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
>
> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
>
> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
> active in BF1942?

Since we now have a REAL geek store here, with every game
and every game platform imaginable here, I am totally lost standing
in front of all those colorful boxes.
However, I know that I want to stay with PC games. With all the
hype surrounding the release of GT-4 here, I wonder if this driving
game is any fun?

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, hoping it's not actually GranTourismo *5*

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:11:56 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
>> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
>> what has been taking up most of your time?
>>
>> I'm currently involved in unlocking all the various goodies in Burnout
>> 3: Takedown on the PS2. On the PC I'm diddling with Halo.
>>
>> I want to take up playing Far Cry, but my current card is just two
>> shades too weak to push the graphics in it.
>>
>> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
>> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
>> active in BF1942?
>>
>> --
>> --==< S m e g h e a d >==--
>
>Whenever i wanna see if i like a game i download the demo!

Got the demo for Far Cry, looks like a beautiful slideshow on my
graphics card.

>I recently downloaded the far cry demo,
>it was good.

I think so too. The sound is really excellent. Something that seems
have eluded the lads that developed T:V.

>I hear Battlefield 2 is coming out, but thats all i can say about
>battlefield,
>never played it, you see.

I played a demo ages ago. Can't recall my impressions, which can't be
good.

>Counter Strike Source is good mindless fun, but it may be two shades too
>strong
>for your graphics card.

Probably. I've not even downloaded the demo for HL2 for fear that I
would weep with frustration at not being able to play it smoothly.

>I hear there's some interesting real time strategy games, such as Rome Total
>War and Dawn of War.

I haven't a strategic bone in my body. I'm amazed that I can plot a
course from my car to the front door where I work.

>However, as with everyone else in this group. You should focus on your real
>hobby - Cameras!

Hell yeah! Funny you should mention it. I just upgraded a few
megapixels in my digital camera ownership.

My wife has a couple of 35mm SLR's.

The appeal of digital cameras for me, though, is the ability to take a
staggering amount of point-n-shoot snaps with out the cost of
traditional film development. With the birth of my daughters, we
figured it would be a fun and economical way to chronicle their early
years.

Our latest digital is a Kodak LS753 5 megapixel. Which is a welcome
boost up from our slowly darkening 2.2 megapixel camera.

>(yes that is your hobby it HAS to be)

It is, as a diddler and a fiddler, but not as an aficionado.
(Actually, my hobby is computers)

>Ok now lets talk about cameras for the next 40 posts or so.

Sounds like a plan!

I give stage to Fabrice and Mr. K, who are far more interesting and
informed on this topic.

Just one question. What is an f-stop?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> Just one question. What is an f-stop?

An adjustment of the lens, which regulates how much light
is allowed to pass through. That, combined with shutter speed,
is the "exposure" of a particular frame of film.

And no, I did NOT look it up. :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:28:33 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

[Snip]

> Hell yeah! Funny you should mention it. I just upgraded a few
> megapixels in my digital camera ownership.
>
> My wife has a couple of 35mm SLR's.
>
> The appeal of digital cameras for me, though, is the ability to take a
> staggering amount of point-n-shoot snaps with out the cost of
> traditional film development. With the birth of my daughters, we
> figured it would be a fun and economical way to chronicle their early
> years.
>
> Our latest digital is a Kodak LS753 5 megapixel. Which is a welcome
> boost up from our slowly darkening 2.2 megapixel camera.

With one of my first pay packets, I'm planning to buy either a "Newman &
Guardia New Special Sybil" (pics of one at
http://www.marriottworld.com/stock_pics/olderpics/sibyl.htm) or save up
for a field-camera (specimens at
http://www.glowbox.demon.co.uk/LIST3.HTM).

.... well, it will be antique camera #30. :)

Oh... and upgrade my (not very gracefully) aging Dimage 5, possibly to a
Canon EOS350D (hence one of my earlier posts).

> It is, as a diddler and a fiddler, but not as an aficionado.
> (Actually, my hobby is computers)

Computers is now part of my job role, so cameras (collecting/using) has
become my hobby. :)

> Sounds like a plan!
>
> I give stage to Fabrice and Mr. K, who are far more interesting and
> informed on this topic.
>
> Just one question. What is an f-stop?

http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
.... yeah, what that page says.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
> active in BF1942?

I liked the Secret Weapons add-on, which includes some faster vehicles and
an almost-useful jet pack. You can get it bundled with the base game and
the Road to Rome add-on, which has some pretty good maps.

I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to a
mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's pretty
fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take longer to load
and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers going.

Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

> Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).

Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

--

"Mr K" <duffstuff@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
>
> > Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
>
> Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).
>
> Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
> http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

according to the write up on Mechwarrior @ underdogs.org, the physics model
fasa studio used was dynamix's. interesting, i didn't know that.

Frank van Schie wrote:
>> ^,,^< wrote:
>> Plus, it's in the past- that's a deal breaker
>> for an old fart like me. I cut my teeth on Asimov's writings.
>>
>> /me sighs
>
> Have you read Iain M. Banks? His Culture novels are fantastic. I love
> the idea of ships, sometimes carrying millions of passengers, having
> names like "GSV So Much For Subtlety", "GSV Size Isn't Everything",
> "GCU Funny, It Worked Last Time...", and so on.
>
> And the stories are actually pretty bloody good, too.

No, but I'm adding him to my reading list! :)

--
>^,,^< Miracle

>^,,^< wrote:
> Frank van Schie wrote:
>
>>>^,,^< wrote:
>>>Plus, it's in the past- that's a deal breaker
>>>for an old fart like me. I cut my teeth on Asimov's writings.
>>>
>>>/me sighs
>>
>>Have you read Iain M. Banks? His Culture novels are fantastic. I love
>>the idea of ships, sometimes carrying millions of passengers, having
>>names like "GSV So Much For Subtlety", "GSV Size Isn't Everything",
>>"GCU Funny, It Worked Last Time...", and so on.
>>
>>And the stories are actually pretty bloody good, too.
>
> No, but I'm adding him to my reading list! :)

Oh, also: Vernor Vinge and several of his books:
A Deepness in the Sky, and the same-universe book (published earlier) A
Fire Upon the Deep.
The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, almost sequels, though fairly
disparate, to be found in a single volume: Across Realtime.

Look 'm up, and you'll see good reviews for all of these :)
--
Frank

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:25:27 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:28:33 -0600, Smeghead wrote:

>> Just one question. What is an f-stop?
>
>http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm
>... yeah, what that page says.

What that pages says in volumes, you mean! I think I might understand
it finally!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:11:40 -0600, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I saw Battlefield 1942 on a bargain shelf and considered getting it,
>> but wanted to get some real-life reviews first. Anyone here still
>> active in BF1942?
>
>I liked the Secret Weapons add-on, which includes some faster vehicles and
>an almost-useful jet pack. You can get it bundled with the base game and
>the Road to Rome add-on, which has some pretty good maps.
>
>I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
>download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to a
>mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's pretty
>fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take longer to load
>and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers going.

Cool. I remember reading early on about spawn killing being an
aggravating issue. Is that true?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.

I be lovin' some covert torpin' action!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:55:40 +0000, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:41:00 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
>
>> Oh and i hear Silent Hunter III (a submarine sim) is awesome.
>
>Nothing could beat "Aces of the deep" (imho).
>
>Imagine my surprise when I read the name of the developers... Dynamix..:
>http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1857

My favorite sub sim of all time is Silent Service. Used to play for
hours and hours on the old C=64.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

>>I prefer Desert Combat Final, a popular mod for BF42. You'll need to
>>download Desert Combat 0.7 plus the DCF mod (which is sort of a mod to
>>a mod). Desert Combat Extended (DCX) is another mod-to-a-mod that's
>>pretty fun, with more and more powerful weapons, but DCX maps take
>>longer to load and fewer people play it. There's a lot of DCF servers
>>going.
>
> Cool. I remember reading early on about spawn killing being an
> aggravating issue. Is that true?

Well-run servers ban attacks on the uncapturable flag points, but if you
spawn in a capturable, it's open season. Then there's servers that
generally are well-run but have one or two admins who are, uhm, less then
adequate and kick/ban-happy. Mr K should know what I'm talking about. ;)

Frank van Schie <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in

> Oh, also: Vernor Vinge and several of his books:
> A Deepness in the Sky, and the same-universe book (published earlier) A
> Fire Upon the Deep.
> The Peace War and Marooned in Realtime, almost sequels, though fairly
> disparate, to be found in a single volume: Across Realtime.
>
> Look 'm up, and you'll see good reviews for all of these :)

My favorite author.

Right now I'm reading John Ringo's "There Will Be Dragons", about the Fall
of the Net and the resulting collapse of civilization. Tribes fans should
read Ringo's "A Hymn Before Battle" and its sequels, which involves war in
powered suits.

http://www.johnringo.com/books.htm

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:58:57 -0600, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Well-run servers ban attacks on the uncapturable flag points, but if you
> spawn in a capturable, it's open season. Then there's servers that
> generally are well-run but have one or two admins who are, uhm, less then
> adequate and kick/ban-happy. Mr K should know what I'm talking about. ;)

Hmm... lemme think...

.... the "generally are well-run" bit's giving me trouble.

--

Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.

Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
> what has been taking up most of your time?

World of Warcraft, by far. Well, that and work, but that's not really a
game, even if I *am* finally coding in C++.

--
Troy

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 6 Apr 2005 04:38:35 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote, snipped a helluva lot:
>> Another, more "real world" game that I've been reluctant to try is
>> golf. I do not want to be mesmerized by a white ball to the point
>> where I'll gleefully plop down $600 for a driver.
>

> Nah, I've battled the tiny white beastlet and I soon realized
>that it's all about skill, not equipment. You would too.

That's not what the commercials say about the Ultra Mega carbon-resin
cored titanium shafted uber gripped club on the golf channel! They say
you'll win like Woods!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 05:05:46 GMT, Troy <gimmespam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> In the wake of a thoroughly disappointing sequal to the Tribes
>> franchise, and in light of some really impressive games out there,
>> what has been taking up most of your time?
>
>World of Warcraft, by far. Well, that and work, but that's not really a
>game, even if I *am* finally coding in C++.

I'd love to take up coding.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:

> I'd love to take up coding.

Unfortunately, I'm not coding games, just utilities to help automate
testing of printer drivers. I'm also still learning a lot as I plod
along, but making quick progress. I even managed to use a "Duff's
Device" in my code, just because I wanted to prove to myself that I
could. :)

--
Troy